Coopers Community

First real taste

RoaldV

Ok, well, although the wait seemed like it took forever, the day is finally here.

Coopers Lager: primary fermentation was 9 days, secondary now 15 days.

Verdict: pass.

Certainly drinkable, but not great.

The taste is probably partly due to the high pitching temp (30 degrees), but I think it's also the brew enhancer. There is a funny taste at the end/after each mouthful that certainly isn't too pleasant.

Anyway, lessons learned, and onto the Coopers Pale Ale! (After I drink 15 of these bad boys that is...)

Ok, well, although the wait seemed like it took forever, the day is finally here.

Coopers Lager: primary fermentation was 9 days, secondary now 15 days.

Verdict: pass.

Certainly drinkable, but not great.

The taste is probably partly due to the high pitching temp (30 degrees), but I think it's also the brew enhancer. There is a funny taste at the end/after each mouthful that certainly isn't too pleasant.

Anyway, lessons learned, and onto the Coopers Pale Ale! (After I drink 15 of these bad boys that is...)

I made the Real Ale kit and my first reaction was that it should be called Real Bad. But after another two weeks in bottles it started to mellow out, and at about a month I was tearing through them like there was no tomorrow.

Time is your friend. If they aren't doing it for you, give them a bit longer.

Well done Roald

I certainly couldn't drink 15 of mine, just one stubby then onto the comercial Cooper's Pale Ale (collecting the long necks).

..... but I think it's also the brew enhancer. There is a funny taste at the end/after each mouthful

Unfortunatley I received 3 packs of BE1 with my kit and now have 3 brews containing it, Pale Ale and Canandian. Moving to Malt and Dex for tomorrow's Draught brew.

..... after another two weeks in bottles it started to mellow out, and at about a month I was tearing through them like there was no tomorrow.

Time is your friend.

A work mate uses BE1 swappping from sugar when he swapped from Draught to Pale Ale, he does wait 3 months though and doesn't complain about the taste. I am going to sample 375ml every two weeks to see how it develops.

Cheers

Scott

Roald,

You've done the hard yards now! By that I mean learning.

The batch you've done will improve with age but the standard os lager kit is far from the best you will produce.

The pale ale kits are far better for my tastes and if you dare experiment a little you will be rewarded.

Well done, keep brewing!

Thanks for the encouragement guys - it certainly has been a steep learning curve, and this forum was a god send.

I really want to get into the recipe for Pale Ale provided by Hairy in the recipes forum (have the hops, dextrose, and LDM all lined up [biggrin]). I'm not want to waste beer though, so will need to wait until I have gotten through a few more bottles.

Thanks for the encouragement guys - it certainly has been a steep learning curve, and this forum was a god send.

I really want to get into the recipe for Pale Ale provided by Hairy in the recipes forum (have the hops, dextrose, and LDM all lined up [biggrin]). I'm not want to waste beer though, so will need to wait until I have gotten through a few more bottles.

or.... spend $15 for another box of 15 PETs [cool]

People I know who bottle, claim a minimum for a turn around for reusing is 90 - 120 bottles for an average drinker.

Heh, that's exactly what I'm planning BillK.

I'm buying another 15, so that I can bottle after I drink 15 of my stock. I will no doubt build up to 90+ bottles... but not all at once... this hobby is supposed to be 'saving' money, not costing extra [biggrin]

Slow and steady.

You would save $15 on your next brew. 2.5 cartons for under $20 is a huge saving imo.

When you look at how much the usual hobby costs compared to brewing as a hobby, then brewing wins hands down everytime. Not only this but you also get to drink the outcome [love]

I wonder if anyone could actually name a hobby that would cost less than brewing, in comparison [unsure]

Roald, if you can dig up the cash from some where, get the bottles. As Bill said, you will need them.

Then you can put the brew down, bottle it and let it condition whilst you are drinking your first batch.

The more stock you build up, the easier it is to let them condition longer in the bottles.

Alternatively, put the beer down now and you have two weeks to drink 30 beers. [biggrin]

You would save $15 on your next brew. 2.5 cartons for under $20 is a huge saving imo.

When you look at how much the usual hobby costs compared to brewing as a hobby, then brewing wins hands down everytime. Not only this but you also get to drink the outcome [love]

I wonder if anyone could actually name a hobby that would cost less than brewing, in comparison [unsure]

My other hobbies are building and playing guitars, photography and bush walking/hiking. All have inherent costs but the booze is the cheapest.. [roll]

The more stock you build up, the easier it is to let them condition longer in the bottles.

...and the more choice you will have as to what you would like to drink. This is the only downfall of kegging imo. Well that's unless you have a good range on tap which is why I wanted to go with at least 5 taps [innocent]

Roald, if you can dig up the cash from some where, get the bottles. As Bill said, you will need them.

Then you can put the brew down, bottle it and let it condition whilst you are drinking your first batch.

Alternatively, put the beer down now and you have two weeks to drink 30 beers. [biggrin]

This is where I am at, I'm still impatient but Roald has much more patience than me. I am on my 4th batch, bottle one and lay one down on the same day. I've scouted around, mates and neighbours (and drinking some), and have collected around 120 stubbies and 50 long necks. Caps are cheap and the capper is a long term investment. Apart from the PET bottles that came with my kit I purchased 2 dozen 640ml bottles for $32 before changing tact. I used 1/2 my PET bottles to make some ginger beer for my son. My plan from here is to collect Cooper's Long Necks by drinking Pale Ale and Sparkling Ale while I wait for my brews to condition, I figure it is cost effective [biggrin]

My plan from here is to collect Cooper's Long Necks by drinking Pale Ale and Sparkling Ale while I wait for my brews to condition' date=' I figure it is cost effective [biggrin']

The stubbies are good too and don't forget to re-culture the yeast and now we are talking about getting more bang for your buck.

Ok, you've convinced me.

Buying 30 more PET bottles today, and will start the next brew this weekend.

See how hard it was to twist my arm? [biggrin]

lol... just tell SWMBO that you will save that much money in the next brew you make. [bandit]

You won't regret it.... if you lived closer to me I could have let you borrow/have some of mine. I have about 9 boxes I hardly ever use.

The stubbies are good too and don't forget to re-culture the yeast and now we are talking about getting more bang for your buck.

Thanks Bill, I have had the Pale Ale stubbies before at my son's place but can't remember if they were twist tops or not. Do you know? The Cooper's 750ml bottles are a very solid unit and look great for refilling. When I was bottling the Cascade (VB) long necks yesterday I was worried that even a slight knock against each other would crack them open. The Crown seals go on the Screw Tops Ok but you need to be more careful and therefore I seem to find they are a bit slower to cap.

As far as the yeast goes as I am green I am still using it from the pack. After laying down my Draught yesterday at around 3pm I went to bed myself. When I left for work at 7pm there was no activity in the fermenter at all. Much releived when I awoke this afternoon to see a very healthy krausen. I imagine a recultured yeast gets things happening quicker. What are the benefits?

The stubbies are twist tops, i only use the long necks. I have 60 PET, found a place that has 750mm for $15, a couple dozen coopers long necks and am going to buy some 500mm and 750mm dark brown grolsch type bottles from my local HBS.

I just realised you live in Hobart. I was just there (came back on Sunday) for a week long conference. Should have invited myself over to check out your setup [bandit]

You are welcome to come over anytime you want. Maybe next time now.

Archived