Coopers Community

Meet Leonard

TonyW

Meet Leonard my new brew fridge given to me by a neighbor who was moving out last Sunday

brew002.jpg

brew004.jpg

brew005.jpg

brew009.jpg

brew010.jpg

Has anyone used one of these temp controllers?

Temp Controller

The fridge for now is for fermenters i may turn it into a keg fridge or get a smaller one at some stage

Good one Tony. I would get an STC-1000 controller personally. They have a wider range of temp control (up to 99\xb0C)which can be used for mashing temp control if you wanted. They are less than $25 delivered. I have 2 which allows me to control both a fermenter compartment and a conditioning cabinet at the same time.

Hay Hoptimus, have you found the probes to be waterproof? I was thinking of trying one (I have spares so dont care if it blows up) to run a HLT with an imersion element... care to expand?

Yob

Hey Yob... I believe them to be waterproof as I know a few people who use them in their urns and have had no issues so far.

• 1 month later...

1st brew into the fridge is my St Peters Ruby Red kit which i am going to setup to be at 18C

first up make sure the BYO FV fits

brew011a.jpg

Test the new temp controller, got this cheap one off ebay for now

Original temp in the fridge is 25C so i turn the fridge on to start bringing it down to 18c.

brew015a.jpg

Not much later and we are there probably took 45minutes

brew017a.jpg

The brew sitting happily this morning still at 18C

brew021a.jpg

The freezer part will be no good for storing beer as it goes from -3 to + 10 depending wether the fridge is working or not so i will store spring water in there to keep cool and a few other brewing bits an pieces.

Hey Tony, would I be right to assume that temp controller only does 1 thing at a time. ie. either heat or cool pending on what is plugged in?

If so, I would say you would be better off to get one that does both at the same time. It will switch on whatever is required to keep the temp, either the fridge or a heating source.

Hey Tony, would I be right to assume that temp controller only does 1 thing at a time. ie. either heat or cool pending on what is plugged in?

If so, I would say you would be better off to get one that does both at the same time. It will switch on whatever is required to keep the temp, either the fridge or a heating source.

Hey Bill its a warm 29C in my shed right now and its keeping the fridge right on 18C, if i switch it to heating mode for winter i can put my heat pads either side of the FV and it will turn em on when the temp gets cold, it has heating and cooling modes. No messing with wiring just plug it in and your good to go.

Must add that Bills right as far as a controller that does both, but i dont need that at the moment, as i do pretty well controlling my beer temps without the fridge, so this cheap controller is a small luxury for the hot summer coming up.

At first' date='I thought this was going to be some joshin about me. A Leonard fridge,I'll be danged! And I am a darn good cook,but not exactly a food master. I wish I had some temp control at this point myself. Good score.[/quote']

And what a good fridge Leonard is too [biggrin]

I am going to add a second controller (cheap enough to buy) that will also sit on 18C, but it will have a heat source (my heat pads) attached to it so that when the temp drops by 1C this will boost it back into range, so there you have a system that has automatic coolng and heating. This second unit doesnt turn the Fridge on and off only the heat source.

Tony, with 2 controllers, you are getting the same setup if you bought an STC1000 controller. Maybe consider getting one this time instead of another one like you already have & keep your original one as a spare/backup.

My controller setup minus the fridge only cost less than $40.

Tony, with 2 controllers, you are getting the same setup if you bought an STC1000 controller. Maybe consider getting one this time instead of another one like you already have & keep your original one as a spare/backup.

My controller setup minus the fridge only cost less than $40.

I can see the point in the STC1000 but once i add up the costs of wiring and housing the STC1000 and i wont wire it myself, not that i cant (guitar electronics are my forte), i just wont play with 240v, have been there and got booted across my shed 15 or so years ago, nearly took me out, then i am in the same ballpark pricewise as with 2 controllers. There maybe another fridge on the way as well and being summer soon i doubt i need to do more than cool. I have set temp to 18C its hasnt dropped below 18c and hasnt got warmer than 19c then the controller kicks in. I wont move on anything until the need for heating comes in. Mate across the road may be able to get me a heating and cooling STC1000 type all setup and ready to rock for $50.

I need to drop to 12C to 14C for my Mexican Cerveza next so no need for a dual at this point. Marking time like i always do and wait and see what i need to do, its not alot of mony at the end of the day in the overall scheme of things.

I finally bought on myself a couple of months ago just to give it a go as I already have a perfectly good temp controller. All up incluidn extra parts from jaycar it cost me $25 dollars (the unit itself was $16.99 on ebay).

I really should wire it up and see if it works. I might just use it for bottle conditioning next winter.

Tony, you'll wonder why you didn't in the first place now. I am waiting delivery of my 3rd one and only yesterday just bought all the supplies from JayCar. I am wiring this one slightly different than the first two and it will cost a little more but will go something like....

1 of these for $3.95 (mains power in)

product_2236.jpg

3 of these for $7.95ea (for Heat and Cold source and a 240v mains)

product_8032.jpg

1 of these for $3.50 (to switch on/off power spare mains socket)

product_10019.jpg

1 of these for $2.95 for sensor probe out

product_2446.jpg

1 of these at $28.95 (The Box)

product_980.jpg

I even bought a Dremel and wish I had done so before I did my first temp controller.

My previous one is on my kegerator but I am finding it a PITA to move the kegerator with cables and cords hanging out of it. With this one I can just pull out all the leads/cables from the box and move it with no issues whatsoever [cool]

Tony, I don't think you will regret buying one. I am really enjoying set'n'forget brewing.

The only down side (if it can be considered a down side [crying] ) is my daughter is feeling a bit redundant now as she is no longer on temp watch ready to turn on the light or get the frozen water bottles [cool]

Tony, I don't think you will regret buying one. I am really enjoying set'n'forget brewing.

The only down side (if it can be considered a down side [crying] ) is my daughter is feeling a bit redundant now as she is no longer on temp watch ready to turn on the light or get the frozen water bottles [cool]

And you would need a bit of ice at Kapunda during summer, i worked on a property a Bagot Well in summer in the late 70's and hot isnt the word for it.

The controller i have is doing a very good job so i am in no rush at the moment so i will see how the new one goes, everyone on the brew forums are a big rap for the STC 1000.

My list is similar Bill so alls looking good. I will wait for the unit to arrive then off to Jaycar for a browse with my list in hand.

If you're not wanting exactly how I am going to build my new one then to save a dollar I suggest to get one of these Jiffy Boxes from JayCar instead of the bigger one I have indicated above. They are $6.95 and are large enough to house two sockets for hot and cold and if you are wanting an additional 240v power socket, as I have in my other one, it will just fit one of them as well provided the switch is located at the top.

Here is a pic of my first one but it doesn't have the additional power socket. Unfortunately I'm at work atm and haven't a pic of my 2nd one which does near the end on one of the long sides.

stc1000b.jpg

The unit was posted from Hong Kong today and was the cheapest on the net that i could find. Another company still sell the $16.99 ones but not to Australia anymore.

Yeah my first 2 were the $16.99 ones but I paid $23 for the one I am waiting on now. I couldn't find a cheaper one either.

Now I need to find another cheap reptile Heat Cord [joyful]

Archived