Coopers Community

What's your water source?

Soundawake

As we all know beer is mostly water so the water you use can have a huge influence on how the beer tastes, just wondering what you guys use?

As I don't really want to use Adelaide's crappy tap water I've been using boxed Marble Hill spring water, but haven't really been happy with it. I've switched to Mount Lofty spring water for my latest brew, Neil's Centenarillo Ale from the aussiehomebrewer forums. We shall see how that goes.

A mate who lives in Clarendon uses his rain water which definitely does give his beer a unique and great taste.

I just use Sydney tap water; its good enough to drink. I've had no problems with it.

Soundawake, have you had a go using Adelaide tap water? If not, give it a go. It may not be as bad as you think.

There seems to be heaps of Alelaide brewers on here using tap water, PB2 included.

I currently live in Bunbury. It's water is drawn from an aquafier, I believe it is the Yarragadie, but maybe a source closer to the surface - I must find out.

That said, across the district, the 'flavour' of the water does differ. Were I am now, the water is brilliant, I cannot find fault with it, and the brews are crisp. Just a few kilometers down the road, a different reserviour, the water appears to have a mineral taste. Chlorine is a steady 0.2ppm throughout.

Perfect water? I don't have a clue, but I definately agree it impacts on the brew big time. Most noticably I find that softer (purer) water gives better head retention = big foam. Though I read that a certain level of minerals are required by the yeast for good fermentation - Arrgh, it's all just too much.

That said, happy brewing.

I've got crappy Adelaide water too, but I installed a carbon filter to my water line and have no problems, just change it once a year. They are available at hardware stores $30 a filter cartridge, small price to pay![cool] [biggrin] [lol] [joyful] [roll]

The best water in Adelaide comes from the WEST END Brewery charity fountain on Port Road at Thebarton. It is the same source of water the brewery uses and comes from the large aquifer under the brewery which is fed from seepage over thousands of years from the MT Lofty ranges. Costs about 10cents a litre but proceeds go to charity. For sanitizing solution I use RO water from the H2O to Go machine and your starsan will last forever almost.

Archived