Coopers Community

TC AUSSIE BITTER

scottj2

G'DAY BREWERS

can anyone tell me what hops are used in aussie bitter?

cheers[lol]

I was going to do an Aussie bitter for my brother inlaw with "Golden Cluster" or a "Pride of Ringwood" or a blend of both.

I havent worked on the recipe yet but this is my starting point.

Forgot to add that Golden Cluster are a bittering and aroma hop the POR just bittering

Bittering mainly, but you could make a one hop variety beer with Pride of Ringwood. It does have a quite distinct citrus aroma and is probably responsible for making Fosters internationally popular.

The POR was Developed by CUB in 1965 so its been used in alot of their beer When it was developed it was the most bitter hop in its day. The Golden Cluster is a more recently developed Australian hop which is more aromatic than most bittering hops, i think xxxx use in their products but dont let that put you off the hop haha. POR are similar to the U.S bittering hops Cluster and Galena with the latter be very bitter and needs to be used in moderation.

Wow' date=' Fosters and XXXX mentioned in the same thread..... must be a thread about crap [pinched']

Hops dont make bad beer Bill, the breweries do [rightful] . Thing is i hate both the above mentioned beers, thats why we export one and make sure the other isnt let out of Queensland, but nothing wrong with the hops when used correctly.

[biggrin]

• 4 months later...

You can pretty much hop it with anything you want.

What are you trying to replicate? An Australian bitter. If so, you probablly don't need to add any. Perhaps some Cluster as mentioned in above posts.

Some Hallertau or Saaz might be a nice touch; nothing too over the top.

A little Galaxy or Citra would go nicely too.

Whatever your heart desires.

Archived