Coopers Community

Still bubbling but no FG change

andrewt16

So my real ale has been in the fermenter for the last 10 days and its still bubbling away at one bubble every 2mins however I checked the FG over the last three and it hasnt changed.

Any ideas? Should i wait? If I bottle now Im going to get a very gassy beer correct?

It started at 1062 and has dropped to 1011 and has been at that level for the last 3 nights.

Any input appreciated.

It looks like it has finished. That would be around the expected FG and it hasn't changed for a few days so it is ready to bottle.

Always trust your hydrometer[rightful]

A bubbling airlock isn't really a sign of fermentation, it just means some gas is escaping.

Its a bit of an unusual recipe there, glad it tastes good.

And welcome to the Forum!

just to add a bit, just reachin g FG does not mean the yeast have finished working, they may have finished fermenting the sugars but will still be active cleaning up by products of the ferment, I ALWAYS leave for another 3-4 days to allow them time to do this and then I cold condition for 5 days minimun, you will find that with this process added that a cleaner beer is achieved.

Yob

Hairy: Yeah a very unusual recipe. Was experimenting a bit.

Had started out looking for a real with a "hoegaarden feel to it but didnt like the taste so added a few more "bits to it" till it got to a mouthfeel i liked.

There is a local brew here in Singapore by a local microbrewery that I ended up trying to emulate and Im a sucker for the body of thier golden ale, hence the wheat. So realistically it was a "rescue operation" that ended up with a VERY LONG ferment time. Now Day 11 (thursday) in the fermenter and its STILL GOING!!!!

1 bubble every 3 mins. FG hasnt changed.

The SG is unlikely to change as it probably finished fermenting a little while ago.

Ignore the bubbles in the airlock.

As Yob said, the extra time you have left it in the FV will help clean it up.

Let us know how it tastes once you have conditioned it for a bit. I'm curious to hear how Real Ale, saaz, cascade, coriander and orange blend together.

Hairy: Yeah a very unusual recipe. Was experimenting a bit.

Had started out looking for a real with a "hoegaarden feel to it but didnt like the taste so added a few more "bits to it" till it got to a mouthfeel i liked.

There is a local brew here in Singapore by a local microbrewery that I ended up trying to emulate and Im a sucker for the body of thier golden ale, hence the wheat. So realistically it was a "rescue operation" that ended up with a VERY LONG ferment time. Now Day 11 (thursday) in the fermenter and its STILL GOING!!!!

1 bubble every 3 mins. FG hasnt changed.

Ah Singapore - better check there are no goldfish in the fermenter giving off bubbles

If it had gladwrap insread of the air lock you would be able to see if it had stopped. I reckon a visual is better way to go. Screw the top off and have a look if there are no bubbles on the top and the beer looks clear then it is ready.

Andrew, when you get a rise in temp the air in the fermenter will expand and will bubble out through the air lock, I think that this is what is happening to you.

Warren. Ps how do you keep it cool in Singapore? Bloody hot there.[ninja]

Screw the top off and have a look if there are no bubbles on the top and the beer looks clear then it is ready.

this is not always the case, yeast strain dependant as well but..

ive had krausen stick round for a fair while after FG has been achieved, ive had krausen subside before FG was reached... Ive found huge variances in krausen behaviour and really.. the only way to know for sure is to take an SG reading.. [innocent]

the rest of the 'signs' are indicitive only and shouldnt be used as a guide to where the ferment is at.

keep the lid on too and use the hydrometer or refractometer if you have one (I dont but soon will) to tell you what you need to know, Id pretty much only ever remove the lid for 2 reasons. Dry hopping or if I had a stuck ferment the rest is needless increase in bacterial load risks.

Yob

Archived