Coopers Community

new brewer

shannonm3

Hi everyone, just put down my first brew tonight with my new coopers micro kit. i plan on using the bottles for this batch. the next one i will be using the keg kit i got off ebay. Any tips and tricks on kegging would be very welcome.

Welcome to the hobby (addiction) of brewing.

I don't keg but you kind of treat it like a big bottle with the priming coming from CO2

1. Sanitise the keg

2. fill the keg with the beer

3. attach lid and prime with C02 and purge

4. Get to correct pressure (not sure on amount as I don't keg)

5. Chill and serve.

Welcome to the hobby (addiction) of brewing.

I don't keg but you kind of treat it like a big bottle with the priming coming from CO2

1. Sanitise the keg

2. fill the keg with the beer

3. attach lid and prime with C02 and purge

4. Get to correct pressure (not sure on amount as I don't keg)

5. Chill and serve.

This is basically correct. When you fill the keg do it from the bottom the same as you would a bottle. You can either force carbonate it or let it sit for about a week at serving pressure or naturally prime. Make sure your lines are the right length to have your system balanced correctly.

What was the equipment you bought and how do you intend to keep your kegs chilled?

Thanx for the tips everyone. @BILLK, i bought a keging kit from ebay, comes with 2 corny kegs, beer line, gas line, connectors, a Co2 regulator, and a tap, all for $250. quite reasonable i thought. I will be keeping kegs in a fridge with beer line running out (not too long) to my bar and tall chrome tap (which i also got for $30). do you think transfering brew to a second fermenter to clear before kegging would be a good idea? or not nessesary?

Thanx for the tips everyone. @BILLK' date=' i bought a keging kit from ebay, comes with 2 corny kegs, beer line, gas line, connectors, a Co2 regulator, and a tap, all for $250. quite reasonable i thought. I will be keeping kegs in a fridge with beer line running out (not too long) to my bar and tall chrome tap (which i also got for $30). do you think transfering brew to a second fermenter to clear before kegging would be a good idea? or not nessesary?[/quote']

I suggest you not cutting the beer line to size until you have everything in order and don't guess. A good rule of the thumb is start at around 3 meters and only take a little at a time until the system is balanced. This also depends on your lines ID. Mine is 5mm and are nearly 3 meters long per keg.

Ohhhh I can't wait to get SS Celli's [love]

Oh forgot to mention, you can get a reasonably cheap 2.6kg Co2 bottle on ebay for around $180 delivered HERE IS THE LINK and it should last you a fair while carbing and dispensing 2 bottles.

A lot of people do transfer to a second vessel prior to kegging and yes, it does help. However, I haven't really bothered unless I need the primary and most my beer comes out fine to me.

@billk, yeah i thought i would sort of curl most of my beer line in the fridge and have the smalest length possable coming out of the fridge to my tap, so ill start with 3 mtrs like you said, sounds good.i tested the SG of my first brew this morning, (been fermenting for 3 days) OG was 1.040 and now its 1.015, at 25c, seems to be coming along nice. i also tasted the sample i took. it tasted quite bitter for a lager but left the most plesant after tast. im quite exited to see how it turns out.

Shannon - I suggest getting that temp down to 18C-20C as soon as you can. 25C is too high for a quality ferment imo.

I just roll my lines up and secure with a cable tie to make it neat in the fridge.

Keg King have a good sheet on balancing your system HERE that you may want to read.

You may also find THIS useful.

Goodluck.

Considering you will only have only 1 keg at first, why don't you rig the first one up and then you will know how much line you will need for the 2nd. If by chance you only need 1.5 meters then you will have enough. What is the ID (Internal Diameter) of your line?

I reckon 3m of line to use for 2 kegs and your gas will not be enough.

Yay my kegs turned up today. i have managed to get my brew to 21/22c hope that will be ok. the beer/gas line is 6mm. how does the difference in thickness of lines effect beer? i will check out the links you posted all this info is very helpfull... i bought an iron wood slab im going to use as my bar top yesterday, its beautiful, cant wait to get it all set up.

It sounds good mate..... 6mm beer lines are larger than mine so you may not need as much line as me.... hrrrmmm or is it the other way around???.. I can't remember now but it is all in those links I posted.

Archived