Coopers Community

True Aussie Bitter - Expected FG

Hoptimus Maximus

I have a brew of True Aussie Bitter which has been in the fermenter for 11 days (last 9 at 14\xb0C). I recorded an OG of 1041 and it is now reading 1014 for last 2 days.

I intended leaving for total of 3 weeks in the primary but am curious about the SG.

What FG should I expect?

I did not vary the Coopers recipe which called for :

Can of Thomas Coopers Australian Bitter

Can of Thomas Coopers Light Malt

Used the supplied kit yeast.

Well after four days around 1013 at 17.5\xb0C it has been in the tub for 3 weeks so I bottled it this morning. Bulk primed with 190gms of dextrose in 22litres. Got 66 x 330ml bottles.

It is in the cellar in plastic crates so if she explodes it will not make too much mess.

Cellar temperature is steady 15\xb0C. Would anyone recommend a good temp to store Aussie Bitter at for secondary fermentation in the bottle?

190g of dex at 15C is too much to bulk prime 22L imo.

I would have only used 132g for bottles and 66g for kegs.

I suggest you place a towel over the top of the bottles. It will help reduce the mess if the worst happens [pinched]

Here is a Priming Calculator for future reference.

A good temp to store at is 18C for 2 weeks then cooler if possible. However, a steady 15C should be ok but may take a little longer to carbonate. Closer to 3 weeks maybe.

Cheers

I suggest you place a towel over the top of the bottles. It will help reduce the mess if the worst happens [pinched]

I have never used the calculator before and have always used 9gms per litre and get lovely carbonation. I normally use 180gms for a Coopers kit but decided since I had a full 22 litres to bottle I would give it a bit more.

What figure do you plug into the calculator for the desired volume? If I input 3.0 it says 176gms?

A good temp to store at is 18C for 2 weeks then cooler if possible. However, a steady 15C should be ok but may take a little longer to carbonate. Closer to 3 weeks maybe.

Cheers

Cheers

Thanks for the calculator Bill. Yeah seems to be a range for 22 litres and I am way at the top or the highest carbonation range. Your idea of the towel on top sounds like the way to go. Guess I will have to drink this one quickly before it blows.

It is a bit of a hassle but if you find they are overprimed you can take off the caps to release the pressure and then recap them. Maybe wear some safety glasses when handling suspect bottles [rightful]

Have you ever done this successfully Muddy? I have wondered about doing this and considered it might end up undercarbed. One calculator I looked at suggested the top of the range for 22 litres was over 200gms of dextrose and some calculators seem to talk about 180gms as being a fair dose for a 23 litre brew

I think what I will try is watching them until I reckon they have the right carbonation level(open one every 3 days after a week) and then pasteurize them in my large stock pot at about 88\xb0C for 10 mins. That should kill the little buggers and stop them turning the bottles into bombs.

I've only had one problem batch over a few hours I gently used a bottle opener and just lifted until the gas started to come and the beer was about to spurt out. I did this several times over a few hours and then used the capper on the original caps just to make sure they were sealed. Worked for me.

I'm not sure pasteurising the bottles is a good idea - not really sure if it would have a good impact on the flavour??

I think what I will try is watching them until I reckon they have the right carbonation level(open one every 3 days after a week) and then pasteurize them in my large stock pot at about 88\xb0C for 10 mins. That should kill the little buggers and stop them turning the bottles into bombs.

I would say this could have problems. As the beer heats up it will cause a pressure increase in the bottles (not just due to the expansion from the increase in temperature, but ethanol in the beer also evaporates at 78C causing an increase in pressure), with the bottles already holding a reasonably large amount of pressure they could explode. It may as Muddy has already said, have a negative impact on the beer. Also how are you going to measure in the temperature inside the bottles? I imagine the temperature inside the bottles would take a while to heat up to the ambient water temperature.

Nevertheless, if you want to try it, then just remember to take care as it could be dangerous [rightful] Personally I would just chuck them in the fridge once they reach reasonable carbonation (or a little under), and just drink them as quickly as possible.

Why doesn't some bright spark invent a reusable crown cap with a built in automatic pressure relief valve. Surely that is not asking too much.

But seriously I thought if you are priming with dextrose you increase the rate by 12.5% over the sugar rate. Is 8.6gms per litre of dextrose really going to cause them to blow? I will post a SITREP if the start going off.

Is 8.6gms per litre of dextrose really going to cause them to blow? I will post a SITREP if the start going off.

I jumped in this conversation at the point where we were talking about your beers being overcarbed. I hadn't even really read what rate you bulk primed at ([pinched] - note to self: read or think before typing).

I reckon 8.6g will be ok - maybe a little overcarbed for my personal tastes (disclaimer: keep an eye on them nonetheless and if they are potential bombs release some pressure). I always bulk prime with dextrose and I used to always use 8g per litre (not the 9g per litre recommended by Coopers for dextrose) and it was fine - However these days I tend to use a little less.

Bulk priming calculators can give you a good idea what to aim for. If I use a calculator I tend to go for the middle of the suggested carbonation range for the particular style.

No need to put them in hot water. If you do this then you promote the gas to escape the liquid and will certainly end up in trouble.

Just do as you said in the first place. i.e. put them in a crate with a towel/blanket over them and let them do their thing. After about 2 weeks put them in the fridge and this will send whatever yeast you have left in the bottle to sleep anyway.

I am not saying you will end up with grenades, I am only pointing out that you should take a little caution in this case. I reckon you'll be right but only time will tell.

I have a question for the experts....I brew @ 18*C constant in one of those cheap Aldi Wine coolers.....I also use enzyme in all my brews & usually get down around FG 1.004....one recent brew stuck @ about 1.012 & I kegged then put in my fridge @ <10*C under 1 atmosphere of CO2.

Is it possible when one does this if the brew was still working that it would continue to work?

I suppose another way to put it would be if you kegged before FG was reached then pressure gassed the keg does everything stop or not?

BTW The brew tasted fine.

I am no expert but a good question.

Guessing I would say:

If the temps are dropped low enough then I would say the yeast will drop out and go dormant.

FG is not a major issue if kegging, that is assuming you have a PRV in your kegs of course.

Paul (PB2) maybe able to provide a better answer to your question... he is the Guru around here [joyful]

Archived