Coopers Community

Brewing on the Trub?

Canadian Eh!L

I have never done this but I have read that after draining all the beer from the fermenter you just rack the next beer on top of the trub.

Provided you are careful with sanitation it shouldn't be a problem. And also, if one beer is to be darker than the other then then do the darker beer as the second batch.

I'm sure there is someone on here that has done it before that could give you a more definitive answer.

If you do it then let us know how it goes.

Chad - my preferred simple method is to bottle as normal but either leave a bit of beer or add some (about 500ml) of cooled boiled water to the trub. I then give the fermentor a bit of a swirl and fill a bottle or jar with the resulting cloudy liquid - I then just stir the contents of the bottle into my next brew.

You can just dump the ingredients of your next brew onto the trub but then you end up with 2 brews worth of sediment and waste products in the bottom of your fermentor - which isn't really a problem but I just prefer to take what I need and start my next brew in a fresh fermentor.

Of course these are just the quick methods and you can get more involved and wash your yeast to get maximum bang for your buck but it really isn't worth it for dry yeast which isn't overly expensive to start with.

Funny, I'll be doing something like this tonight.

I'm going to keg a Centenarillo tonight which is ready then I am debating on whether to swirl the contents of the FV, pour some off then clean and pitch it back into the next or simply give it a swirl and pour half the crap out then just pitch straight on top with no cleaning of FV. Yep, that's right, I won't be cleaning the fermenter as it should still be right from the previous brew provided there was no infection.

The reason why I will pour half the trub out first is so there will not be so much when the 2nd ferment is completed but mainly to reduce the possiblity of over pitching.

My only issue I might have at the moment is that because I have CC'd my current brew, it may take a little time for the yeasties to kick back into gear for the next.

A tip:

generally a recipe calls for the sugars in the FV first then add the boiled water and goo and top up with cool water. Just becareful not to add boiling water to the trub or whatever you have in there from your previous brew or you might kill your yeast.

I did similar to what muddy did 3 weeks back and got a fast start.

I got sanitized tall neck and poured about 250 ml to 300 ml of trub into the bottle. Added some cooled wort which then the bottle was over half full. Put on airlock and left on window sill in warm place. 24 hours later made up next batch in clean FV. BY then the bottle was frothing out the top like crazy. Poured the lot in and was bubbling by next morning.

Bottled 3 weeks later. Was a real ale with BE2 and extra cascade dry hopped.

There isn't really any need to make a starter as there is already more than enough yeast for the job. Just put a lid on the bottle and put it in the fridge. Take it out of the fridge a couple of hours before your ready to use it and then just pitch and stir - should go off like a frog in a sock.

Archived