Coopers Community

Sugar won't surrender !

Damo

I have another "real malty ale" in the F.V (yeh boring I know but I'm hooked on it & its real easy to brew[happy] ) brewed on the 13/6 , that is still bubbling away happily 8 days later.All the others I have made stop bubbling around the 3 or 4 day mark (like the instructions said) & I bottled 2 days after activity ceased.I have tried warming it up with a 25watt brew belt which raised the F.V. temp from 18 to 25deg but it hasnn't had any effect.The yeast & fermentables are still fighting it out.

Will this longer fermentation period take away anything from my beloved brew ?

Real Ale can

1kg brewing sugar

500g LDM

Cheers

Damo

Not all fermentations run to a strict timetable. They are a bit inconsiderate in that respect.

Have you taken any hydrometer readings?

That is the true indicator of whether it is still fermenting.

If it is still going, the longer fermentation shouldn't have any adverse consequences.

18 degrees is a great temp to ferment your ales but 25 degrees is very warm. However, it is likely that most of your fermentation would have been done by the time you increased the temp.

Thanks Hairy & Squishy , the OG was 1042 & it is now @ 1012.

This SG is around about when I would normally be bottling this brew but I am a bit concerned about the fact this one is still making the air lock go bloomp.. bloomp ( hope muddy doesn't read this).[lol]

I like me natty little air lock , device thingy ,cling wrap doesn't appeal to me.[lol]

Haven't ever had a bottle explode yet & hope to keep it that way.

My gut feeling is not to bottle until activity has ceased for a couple of days , is this right ?

Cheers Damo

Do another reading 24 hours later. If it is the same, it is done.

Don't rely on the airlock.

IT could be "active" due to many reasons. One being residual Co2 being released.

Your slower fermentation could be due to less viable yeast cells being pitched....

Cheers for your reply Newtownclown,I was pretty sure the SG had bottomed out but were a little concerned about continuing activity.Never had one go this long but hadn't considered residual & yeast differences. Its slowing down now so all looks good.Will check SG tomorrow & probably bottle it.

Damo

Well she's bottled away now , in terms of the taste test it bolted across the finishing line winning by a couple of lengths.[happy]

Its fsg @ the 10 day mark still a steady 1012 so just hoping now I havent just made 30 I.E.d's or you guy's over there on the east coast will be hearing the wife's screams from here as my brewery & main storage also doubles as the family laundry...[innocent]

• 2 weeks later...

Archived