Coopers Community

Carbonation drops too fizzy

tonyw9

Hi there,

I'm just opening first bottles of a fat Yak clone I put down a month or so ago that I bottled and carbed at the normal rate of 2 drops per 740ml bottle... It has the texture of champagne and horribly over-carbed... Any ideas how I can try to fix this or even WHY it happened?? I'm thinking all I can do to try to fix it is to open the lids slightly to let some gas out and reseal them and keep ageing... will it hurt to just try to use 1 Carb drop per bottle in future cos I don't like Champagne.. lol..

thanks again.. :)

Tony

No harm in trying 1 drop in future, experimentation is the name of the game, its very common to do one drop with stouts ect, Customise the brew to your liking. You can also us the scoops to add your desired amount of sugar or try bulk priming if you just cant get the drops to work for you.

Tony

Does the beer gush out when you open the bottle? Are you sure fermentation was finished before bottling?

Agree with Dave about the drops. It all comes down to your taste and if you like low carbonated beer then try using one drop per bottle. As Dave mentioned, low carbonation suits some styles.

You can also try de-gassing the bottles. Maybe loosen the lids on a few bottles to let some gas out, re-tighten them and try those after a day or so. If that solves the problem then do it to the rest of your bottles.

If it is "horribly over-carbed" as you say, then chances are it was probably bottled too early, which has resulted in extra fermentation taking place in the bottles producing too much carbonation [crying]. In most of my beers I prefer lower than higher carbonation, so I just use one drop per longneck. But using two drops does suit many styles (lagers, wheat beers), and IMO produces a similar carbonation to many commercial Australian beers.

Tony i made the same type of batch not too long ago and i think it turned out awsome, one of my fav brews. i did leave it a long time in primary fermentation, so like the others said it might have not completed primarly. Degassing should work

Ha yeh... I'll definitely steer clear of the beroccas in future.... hah

It was in primary for 2 weeks and had consistent readings over 3 days so presumably it was done fermenting.. Having said that, I DID use the US-05 yeast that I wasn't used to and unlike the normal kit yeasts (which I have only ever used otherwise) it didn't clear from the top of the ber... What I mean is... it stopped bubbling as such but it remained in a thick layer on top instead of all setting on the bottom... There are no off falvours and I'm pedantic w Sanitation so all ok there... maybe I just need one drop in future... I have a mate who only ever uses one and his beers are great so I'll give that a shot... Thanks for the help fellas.

I don't reckon 1 drop will be enough for that style of beer (unless you're drinking it warm[sick]).

You say you had consistent readings over 3 days - What was the reading? Apart from the readings it all sounds like fermentation wasn't over. What temps were you brewing at? Maybe the yeast went to sleep and was roused back into action when you bottled.

I don't reckon 1 drop will be enough for that style of beer (unless you're drinking it warm[sick]).

You say you had consistent readings over 3 days - What was the reading? Apart from the readings it all sounds like fermentation wasn't over. What temps were you brewing at? Maybe the yeast went to sleep and was roused back into action when you bottled.

Reading came out at 1.010... Pitched yeast at 18Deg, fermented between 12 and 16C which is within the range of the yeast but it sure does sound like it wasn't over huh.... Bummer, cos it tastes GREAT!!... Oh well, I'll burp the bottles and hope for the best...

Your brewing temp is too low. 15C is the bottom end of the US-05 range. Having said that 1010 sounds ok but it may have gone a bit lower if brewed at the ideal temp (18-20C).

Yep, release the gas from the bottles and see how you go - It sometimes takes a few goes depending on how overcarbed they are.

Yes,the low end of Safale US-05 is 59F (15C),but the high end is 75F (23C). So brewing it at 20-23C is getting to close to high range,& you may get esters or worse.

Close to or at low range will take longer,but should be pretty good taste-wise. And 18-20C may be good for cooper's ale yeast,but getting up there for US-05. My wife used irt at 20-23C,& it's ok,but imo,could've been a tad beeter if I had temp control.

the one that i used was a pritty stock standard one but it does a good job, i actually like it more:

Black rock East India Pale Ale

1KG LDM

2x15 g cascade finishing infusion bags

25 g Nelson Sauvin Hops

and the 05 yeast

and it was just biol the LDM cascade, and half of the nelson in a couple of litres for 15 then addd the rest of the nelson for the last 5 minutes, then add it all to the fermenter. enjoy

Can you share your fat yak recipe. I love that beer. Or tell where you got it from. I know you used 05 which is a start. I got a spare sachet of 05,just need a recipe to use. Fat yak yeh.

Howdy,

This is the one I used.. Great flavour (except for the carbonation issue).

Fat Yak.

1.7kg Coopers Pale ale

1kg Light Dry Malt

250 grams Dextrose

15g Cascade hops @10min

15g Nelson Sauvin hops \u2013 @10min

15g Nelson Sauvin hops \u2013 @0min

15g Cascade hops dry hop

US-05 Yeast

the one that i used was a pritty stock standard one but it does a good job, i actually like it more:

Black rock East India Pale Ale

1KG LDM

2x15 g cascade finishing infusion bags

25 g Nelson Sauvin Hops

and the 05 yeast

and it was just biol the LDM cascade, and half of the nelson in a couple of litres for 15 then addd the rest of the nelson for the last 5 minutes, then add it all to the fermenter. enjoy

THanks for sharing that, I made the BRIPA last year with just 1 KG of LDME and 250 G of dextrose and didn't like that much. I didn't dry hop or add any extra hops to it though. I usually only like to use Coopers kits when not doing all extract recipes.

Can you share your fat yak recipe. I love that beer. Or tell where you got it from. I know you used 05 which is a start. I got a spare sachet of 05,just need a recipe to use. Fat yak yeh.

Howdy,

This is the one I used.. Great flavour (except for the carbonation issue).

Fat Yak.

1.7kg Coopers Pale ale

1kg Light Dry Malt

250 grams Dextrose

15g Cascade hops @10min

15g Cascade hops dry hop

US-05 Yeast

OK I have all that in my HB stock shelf except for the Nelson Sauvin hops. I seen a lot of references to how good it is so now I got an excuse to buy some.

with the CPA kit recipe for Fat Yak clone did you boil the kit and the malt with the hops or just with the malt and dextrose.

Fat Yak.

1.7kg Coopers Pale ale

1kg Light Dry Malt

250 grams Dextrose

15g Cascade hops @10min

15g Cascade hops dry hop

US-05 Yeast

with the CPA kit recipe for Fat Yak clone did you boil the kit and the malt with the hops or just with the malt and dextrose.

Nah, didn't boil the kit. Made a hop tea with about 3 litres water then used THAT tea to disolve the kit and sugars, then treated as normal kit, ie up to 20 litres, then adjust for temp etc. In my new batch of lager I put down yesterday I've wrapped the fermenter in a couple of jumpers and it seems to be doing the trick of maintaining the temp instead of getting that drastic drop... Fingers crossed this one goes as planned.. :)

Thanks again

Fat Yak.

1.7kg Coopers Pale ale

1kg Light Dry Malt

250 grams Dextrose

15g Cascade hops @10min

15g Cascade hops dry hop

US-05 Yeast

Archived