Coopers Community

1st brew Sediment ??

JOEB6

Hey all,

Newbie brewer here. Brought my DYI coopers kit today and thought i would give it a go. I have noticed a lot of sediment on the bottom of the fermenter only after a few hours after pitching the yeast. Is this normal?? I am brewing the standard lager that comes with the kit and my temp is sitting around 21-24 deg c at the moment.

Appreciate any response.

Cheers

umm.. as in its darker or as in a trub layer? (whitish)

if its just darker I would say it is just not mixed thouroughly and is nothin to worry about.. the yeasties will get to it[love]

did you take a a OG reading? if it's not mixed completely I would expect a higher than expected OG..

a photo and complete recipy and method may also help to diagnose..

Yob

Hey Yob, thanks for the reply.

I would call it a whitish / floury textured sediment.

My recipe was the standard one that comes out of the diy box..Lager malt + brew enhancer 1.

My OG reading was 1040.

Could this be the cold / hot break everyone talks about??

Cheers

I think I only had a OG of about 1.033 when I did my first lager kit. Given that your OG is higher, I would say that it is just the BE1 that has not disolved entirely. No need to worry, just leave it and it will sort itself out :)

Welcome to the forum by the way. Also a tip for you.... your beer will be better if you can get the temp between 18-20C.

Hey Guys,

Thanks for all the responses much appreciated. Looks like i was worrying about nothing. My brew is sitting around 16-18 deg c at the moment which i am preety happy about.

Off now to explore the forum to answer more of my newbie queries

thanks again

Cheers & Beers

Try and keep that brew around the 18C mark. It will make the best beer possible if the temperature is at the lowest the yeast can handle. I try to keep Ale yeast around 18C and Lager yeast around 10C.

Another thing to confuse you is that the Lager kit you are using uses Ale yeast instead of Lager yeast.

Try and keep that brew around the 18C mark. It will make the best beer possible if the temperature is at the lowest the yeast can handle. I try to keep Ale yeast around 18C and Lager yeast around 10C.

Thanks for rubbing it in once again Matty!!! The overnight temps up here have been almost down that low (10 DegC)[pinched] [pinched] !!!!!! Good Ale weather though

Thanks Matty so much to learn. Any tips on keeping the temp up without using heat mats etc. Would a blanket wrapped around the fermenter to the trick??

Yep a blanket wrapped around the fermenter is good. I use an old motorbike jacket.

The best thing to do is to get a TempMate with a Fridge and a heat source but not all of us have one of them.

Archived