Coopers Community

What's your biggest brewing blunder?

Snags

Surely everyone's made one[biggrin]

My second attempted brew, I forgot to add the yeast sachet [roll]

Noticed the next day when I went to peg out the washing and it was sitting in the bottom of the Machine. . .

Yes, I felt like a right twat. [lol]

Also had a box of 30 longnecks (sterilised etc) explode out the bottom of the box onto the path on the way to the shed to bottle. . .[pinched] 3 survived [crying]

I haven't had too many blunders....until last night.

I was preparing for bottling. I had my fermentor up on a milk crate on the bench and some how it fell off - I don't really know how it happened. I managed to catch the fermentor, just, and only ended up with about the equivalent of a glass of beer over me, the bench and the floor.

Snags are you Polish? Or just like Polish beer? I just noticed your pic...

My biggest beer blunder was not brewing but involved beer....

I came home from work one day and thought id get a beer from my tap, I pulled back on the tap and nothing came out! [crying] On closer inspection i noticed the beer line was frozen. So i turned off the fridge and left the door open for a bit. It was mid summer so i thought id go water the garden and come back and try again. 20 mins later i came back inside and found about 15L of beer on the floor! I had left the tap open!

It was a very sad day but lucky for me the women was not home! Or i may no longer be alive! I cleand it up before she got in and went and got me self a carton of sparkling to make everything better! [lol]

Here's a lesson for everyone compliments of my Great Uncle...

He's been brewing for decades but getting a little older now, a few years ago he had made this beautiful stout and was so excited to have me try it when I visited... Upon tasting it was completely flat and very salty.

It turned out he had primed each bottle with salt, not sugar/dextrose - Consequently the family remind him of his very savoury brewing blunder on a regular basis.

I guess the only blunder I have really made was adding way too much caramalt (roughly 5 times the amount needed) into one of my brews.

It is extremely sweet so it is a desert beer I guess. Nothing undrinkable tho.

i once decided to be a little tricky and carbonate my beer with honey to give s sweet kick, trying to follow the correct carbonating level must have put a little too much in the bottles, i come home one day to find half a dozen bottles exploded and beer and glass everwhere. [crying]

Oh wait another good blunder of mine was:

I had a carton of Coopers longnecks that where empty which I was bringing inside to sanitise as I was going to bottle (I only had enough bottles to finish bottling this brew).

When I climbed up the steps the bottom of the box fell out and all the bottles went crashing down the steps. [annoyed]

I guess one good thing about it was a drive to the bottlo to get a carton of Pale Ale, a mate and we were pretty happy by the time bottling happened. Needless to say I had a few yeast starters as well.

When I climbed up the steps the bottom of the box fell out and all the bottles went crashing down the steps. [annoyed]

I have never been able to break a Coopers longneck. I've dropped a few (always onto concrete floors and 1 from a great height) and they have always bounced. For the ones that were full jus the caps burst off but the bottles remained intact.

I knocked an entire 23 lt brew off my bench when bottling - on to carpet.

Three days ago I burnt the arch of my foot when transferring just boiled wort to my fermenter on which I had the tap left open. Lost less than half a litre and no skin [devil]

Slippery benchtop + fermenter sitting on plastic milk crate + chock of timber under rear (of fermenter [pinched])+ not so bright idea of seuring FV with occy strap x slipped strap x lunge for fermenter x crate sliding off edge = 23 litres of sticky beer on carpet

Archived