Coopers Community

Carlton Black

Otto Von Blotto

I went to the bank on my way home for my mid shift break today to change a note into some coins, and while I was there I thought I'd pop into the bottle shop next door and see if there was any unknown beers there that I could sample. I didn't really find much, ended up getting a 6 pack of both Guinness Extra Stout and Squire's Porter.

But I also found this Carlton Black Dark Ale. Normally I wouldn't buy anything from megaswill breweries like that, but I haven't seen this before and I figured I might as well give it a try, so I picked up a stubbie to have later on when I get home properly.

On the back it says:

"Carlton Black is a traditional top fermented ale using old style yeast (origins dating back to 1835). The drum roasted malt is the secret behind the inviting mocha aroma, the full bodied flavour and distinctive deep ruby tint. The fruity ale flavours complement the Pride of Ringwood hopping, which makes Carlton Black rich and easy to drink."

Has anyone else ever seen or tried this before? If so, what did you think of it? I'll report back later tonight after I've given it a try.

425856_4803201646525_182377776_n.jpg

It has been around for years. I was a Tooheys Old drinker back then (still don't mind the odd one now) and was interested in this when it was first released.

I was a little disappointed in it but I can't remember why (it was a long time ago). Any way, I tried it on tap a few weeks ago and it wasn't too bad. It wasn't spectacular but it was better than drinking VB.

I wouldn't go out of way to buy it from a bottle shop but if I was at a pub with a choice of this or the standard Aussie lagers, I would drink this everytime. Thats really not that much of an endorsement though, is it? [innocent]

[lol] Yeah I've just never seen it before. Then again, every time I do visit the bottle shop I always head to the fridge that DOESN'T stock the megaswill brands. I've never seen it on tap in a pub up here though. I don't mind a Tooheys Old every now and then, but yeah I guess I don't go out of my way to buy anything from a bottle shop anymore since most beer I drink I brew myself, but I saw it and thought what the hell. [joyful]

Otto,

I don't think you will see it much on tap in QLD, but when you do maybe try one because as Hairy said it is better than some of the megaswill choices that are usually available. Even in a stubby it is drinkable, not a patch on some good home brew though!!!!

I had a fairly big session at the Broadbeach hotel a little while back. Tooheys old is my beer of choice when its on tap, but the Broady only had carton black, so i gave it a go. from what i remember they were pretty good. i could have drank tooheys old out of stubbies but stuck with the carlton black in schooners. Definately give it a go...it can only kill ya![cool]

Definitely agree it's better than most of the megaswill crap that is available. It needs a bit more malt and hop presence to me though, it's a little bland for a dark ale - but what would you expect from a megaswill brewery anyway right? [lol] I am getting a bit of a chocolatey taste which I don't mind, also a chocolatey aroma. It's not unlike Tooheys Old. The pub I normally go to has Squire on tap anyway, so I usually get pints of that. But yeah, definitely decent home brew is much better[biggrin]

Archived