Coopers Community

Low Carbonation Levels

PhilL4

Hi guys,

Just ran my 3 brew through the kit, the brew came out beautifully, except that in some bottles it feels like it has begun to go flat, sort of only half carbonated. I'm using the coopers PET Bottles and their Carbonation drops, using 2 per bottle. I've heard rumors that sometimes the bottles don't seal as well as they claim too and that can sometimes lead to issues.

The really odd thing is it seems to vary bottle to bottle and there is not linking factors. I have noticed this in previous brews also.

Cheers

Hay Phil, take em out 1 by 1, put your ear near the lid and give them a squeese.. if you hear gas escaping then surprise surprise you dont have a good seal. For those, you can get a new lid, disolve a bit of dex and use a small serynge to squirt a few ml's into each and reseal. Give em a tilt or 3 to resuspend the yeast..

Ive never done it myself as I use glass but ive heard of this done.. of course give them the squeese test again...

Yob

I trashed all my PET bottles a while back, they were haunted by beings that lived on CO2. I actually started calling the carbonation 'the angels portion'.

No matter what I did, they just consumed it all before it had any chance to build up.

Now I use only glass bottles and they work on all my beers and sodas.

Once you open a new lid it leaves the little bottom portion on the bottle. When you reuse the lid on your next batch is it ok to leave that portion on or better to remove it?

I remove the "collar" from the lid before screwing the lid on the bottle. It's a lot easier that way. I also remove the blue plasticy thing that is in the lid as I reckon it is a place for the nasties to hide. I am yet to have an infected or undercarbed beer. However, I only get 2-5 bottles per brew.

I know some people tend to take out the blue lining inside the lid but I for one don't think it is a good idea. It must be there for a reason.

When bottling I drop my lids into a bowl of iodophor solution and just take them out and give them a shake to remove excess liquid before putting them on.

The blue plasticy thing?

You mean the liner? I thot it needed that for a good seal.

I thought they helped improve the seal aswell. As the side of the bbottle goes up into the cap it gets pushed against the blue plastic thing which in turn creates the seal.

Thanks guys, they were new bottles with new lids so hopefully that wasn't the issue. I did the squeeze test, no air leakage. I have heard from the local home brew store that sometimes the bottles just leak the gas and theres very little i can do about it, which of course is then followed by him suggesting i buy glass bottles off him lol, so I'm not sure how true that is.

My current brew has just reached 14 days in the bottle.

I have kept a pretty close eye on this brew & noticed some bottles carbonated faster than others. They were in the "freezer" section of my brew fridge & were kept at 20 degrees. Some were hard after 7 days & others took the full 14 days, with no particular pattern as to where they were in the fridge.

I use PET bottles & carb drops.

Checked them yesterday & they are all about the same pressure.

I would tend to leave them as long as you can - it may be just a slow fermentation.

Ive noticed a varying level of carbonation in my bottles aswell (using Long neck bottles) and I'm starting to think its due to the carbonation drops. I've noticed that the sizes seem to vary alot, and I try to use all the larger ones. I'm thinking of maybe just using white sugar and the measuring spoon so its more accurate.

Archived