Coopers Community

Priming

Have come into a bit of luck and been given 46 flip top bottles from a friend whos grandfather once brewed. Nice, thick quality bottles. [biggrin]

However they are 16oz/475ml bottles, and I know the Coopers carbination drops are 1 per 330/375ml or 2 per 740/750ml. With 475ml bottles one would be too little, 2 too much. Do I add one drop and try to cut one in half? Seems an inaccurate method as Im sure each wont cut exactly the same or could break into a dozen pieces. Any advice?

I keep thinking I read that one carb drop was good up to 16oz's? I haven't put it to the test yet myself. I only use German 11.2 oz,& standard 12oz,no matter the style of 12oz bottle. It's worked very well so far...[cool]

I like the fact that cooper's carb drops are so strong. My German 11.2oz bottles have a longer neck/shorter body,so they get more head space. But,boy do they carb solid at 3 weeks at 70F! Dito on the 12oz'rs. So,the 16 ounce Grolsh bottles should be fine. Might need four weeks to properly carb,though. More volume=more carbonation/aging time...usually. Again,this also depends on the gravity of the brew. But average gravity brews will follow my stated times. So you should be fine,no worries,m8.

Mike - Don't use one drop in these bottles unless you want low carbonation (Stouts, English bitters). 1 drop is certainly not enough for a regualar beer.

Bulk priming is your best bet or you could individually prime the bottles with the appropriate amnt of sugar (3.8g)

Mike, I have exactly the same bottles, they are great bottles to have although if you use 1 drop you will find the beer almost flat and if you use 2 drops it will almost be a gusher.

Once I started using these bottles I resorted to bulk priming and haven't looked back. It will make your life heaps easier

Bulk priming will definitely give you your desired carmonation level. Not only this but it will be the same for all bottles, whatever the sizes. No need to think 'X' amount for this bottle and "y" amount for the other. Just bulk prime then fill your bottles. To easy [joyful]

Mike,

i recommend the bulk priming idea. in my mind i think it's far quicker to whip up a batch of priming solution than it is to drop a drop into each bottle. once you get into the bulk priming you can adjust the amount per recipe to the gram.

chad

It may be worth your while trying one carbo drop per swingtop just to gauge for yourself whether it produces sufficient fizz for your tastes and style of brew.

For example, the latest brew I supplied to a few people at work - Choc Magnum Porter - has only one carbo drop per 740ml PET bottle. [cool]

1 drop will definately not give you enough carbonation for a lager. But by all means give it a go - every experinece is a learning experience.

I still reckon bulk priming is the way to go. I started bulk priming when I can into 260 of the same bottles as you and it was by far the easiest method. Be warned that you don't always get a perfect seal with flip top bottles so expect to have the odd flat one.

A predetermined amount of sugar is dissolved into about a cup of boiling water to make a sugar syrup.

For bulk priming you will need a second fermentor. My method is to then join them together, tap to tap, with some food grade hose. The fermentor with the beer is then placed up high on a bench or something and drained into the other fermentor with the sugar solution (this one needs to sit down lower or on the floor). The sugar is mixed in by the movement of the beer entering the vessel - you gently rock the fermentor to further mix the sugar but it isn't really necessary (at all times you want to avoid splashing the beer. For an average 23L batch I tend to use 180g of dextrose dissolved in around 1 cup of boiling water.

The suggested rate of priming is about 8g a litre for sugar or 9g a litre for dextrose. You can reduce this to about 6g a litre for stouts and the like.

As the sugar is already mixed into the wort you can then bottle into any sized bottle and have a consistent rate of carbonation

Thanks for the info Muddy. I'll look into getting a second fermentor just for that. Sounds like a simple process.

the link provided is for a bulk priming calculator, depending on what your brew is and just how fizzy you like it, you can adjust easily. I am currently about to bulk prime for the first time myself this week.

say goodbye to the drops and say hello to personalised carbonation!!

calculator

Well, Ill answer your original question, since nobody actually did.

1/2 teaspoon of sugar per 475ml bottle will be good, or 1.5 carb drops.

I would just add 1/2 a teaspoon of sugar per bottle.

I understand you guys are just trying to help but, not everyone wants or can afford buying more fermentors, just to bottle... least i know I can't.

Thanks for the info Muddy. I'll look into getting a second fermentor just for that. Sounds like a simple process.

though M-HD looks like he is heading in that direction so the above posts are actually quite relevant[rightful]

I understand you guys are just trying to help but' date=' not everyone wants or can afford buying more fermentors, just to bottle... least i know I can't.[/quote']

In Australia, we have a hardware that can sell water tubs the same as fermenters. I recently picked up another one for $15, so there is no need to shell out for a "fermenter" as such, just one of these tubs.

The cost of a brew surely doesnt break the bank.

Well' date=' Ill answer your original question, since nobody actually did.[/quote']

I think you'll find that I did if you have a closer look [unsure]

I understand you guys are just trying to help but' date=' not everyone wants or can afford buying more fermentors, just to bottle... least i know I can't.[/quote']

It only costs a few dollars to buy a bulk priming vessel - Harwares and camping stores are a good source of cheap water vessels which are suitable.

Well I was almost worried to say that bulk priming looks like an extraordinary effort to take when you could just spoon suger via a funnel into a bottle. I really can't understand what can be simpler than this.

Then I thought I might keep it to myself so as not to upset anyone, but since the damage has been done, I figured I'd wade in anyways [bandit]

Im reading a brewing book and just so happens today it covered bulk priming. It described the process as muddy did almost verbatim, but also said if you didn't have a second fermentor for the priming mix that you could actually gently (and it stressed, very gently) stir it into the brew before bottling, and allow it to settle 15 mins or so before bottling.

Anyone try this? Curious if it mixes totally as it should.

Archived