Coopers Community

Feelin' a little worried

Canadian Eh!L

i just tried my 1st try at a mild ale with the recultured yeast.

i'm not impressed.[crying] after 16 days in the bottle at 18C i chilled one down. flat, zero head, cloudy, with a weird film on the glass. the flavour and aroma are not bad (not unlike the cooper's SA that i recultured the yeast from. seems a bit soapy.[pouty] mind you there has been no soap used in the cleansing process.

my recipe:

22l water

1.7 OS Lager

566 LME

100g dex

12g saaz steeped 20min

1L recultured cooper's SA

207g dex (priming)

OG 1.034 FG 1.012

what do you think?

Come on Canadian, "Soapy"are you sure you did not get your ocupation mixed up with your brewing?[pinched]

The recipe calls for

1.7kg Thomas Coopers Sparkling Ale

1.5kg Thomas Coopers Light Malt

500g Coopers Light Dry Malt

300g Dextrose/Sucrose

23L

I've made this and it turns out about 5% and very nice after a couple of months.

Warren

Seems like you left out half the stuff!?

Your about 1Kg short on the malt, so no head.

Sorry, I didn\u2019t think anybody drank \u201cMild Ale\u201d, no wonder if it taste like soap. Don\u2019t you see the connection Muddy, Canadian is a soap maker. Probably used the same vat. Be more careful son.

Weggl

Sorry, I didn\u2019t think anybody drank \u201cMild Ale\u201d, no wonder if it taste like soap. Don\u2019t you see the connection Muddy, Canadian is a soap maker. Probably used the same vat. Be more careful son.

Weggl

I like the Mild Ale coopers create. I suppose the only time I have them tho is when I want to re use the yeast out of the coopers bottles.

Come on Canadian' date=' "Soapy"are you sure you did not get your ocupation mixed up with your brewing?[pinched']

Seems like you left out half the stuff!?

Your about 1Kg short on the malt, so no head.

weggl,

i just hate being piegon holed a one dimensional. Along with being a soap maker i am also a carpenter, tree planter, tree faller, wildlands fire fighter, and a father of two... i'm sure i'm forgeting one or two skills (or lack of) in my pocket.[pinched] so maybe the next time i have a brew that tastes like sawdust i'll know why.[biggrin]

you mentioned the lack of 1Kg of malt. i wondered about the same thing. i tried to make this brew at least as close the the "mild ale" recipe in the HTB section. does this recipe always turn out flat and soapy? i also wonder if it is the OS Lager kit. i must say i have been disappointed before with this one.

Maybe my culture wasn't active enough? although the FG seems to be where i expected and there was plenty of action during fermentation.

i wanted to make a good early drinking beer that was a little lighter on ABV%. maybe i'm not a 'mild' kinda' guy.[pouty]

If we exclude the possibility of residual soap in the brewing equipment...

A soapy character may be caused by:

The yeast (perhaps try making the brew with dry yeast)

Old hops (were the hops in good condition)

Archived