Coopers Community

priming a stout

JohnV3

I'm about to bottle a porter and a stout...I have seen many recipes recommend that you use 2/3 - 3/4 of the normal dose whereas others don't. I prefer using carbonation drops and I am now wondering:

a) why do some recommend a smaller amount (is it to reduce gas, impact to flavor)

b)what are the ramifications of using a full measure, if any?

The main reason they suggest to use less priming sugar is to create less carbonation as stouts generally have less cabonation then other beers.

If you use 2 carb drops per long neck (as per the instructions) it will just carb it like a normal beer.

I normally have the normal dosage because I seem to be too stupid to remember to put less sugare in there and all of my stouts come out fine. infect I don't think they are overcharged at all

I like a fairly high degree of carbonation but do reduce my priming sugar for stouts. 1 carb tab per longneck works great or if bulk priming I use 6g per litre of dextrose.

I suggest you do a mixture of regular priming and reduced priming and decide what works for you [biggrin]

I have to agree with Matty & Ross. I read about reducing priming rates just before I bottled my stout but forgot to try it[crying]

I was worried it would be a bit overcarbonated but so far they have come out perfect.

It seems it just comes down to personal preference. Maybe follow Muddy's suggestion & do half & half and see which one you prefer (like I was going to do)[pinched]

It doesn't make a huge difference but it definately gives your stout a bit more elegance once aged. But a lot of people around here seem to drink their stouts quite young - you really need to age them for more than a year (or at least 6 months [pinched] ) to get the true experience.

A lower fizz level in stout, as with several other styles, is required because the recommended serving temp' is slightly higher.

Out of interest - through the colder months, many of the staff, at Coopers (that was the "we" I was talking about Muddy [lol] ), store Best Extra Stout in their garage and serve it without extra chilling. It really brings out the coffee and chocolate aromas [love]

A lower fizz level in stout' date=' as with several other styles, is required because the recommended serving temp' is slightly higher.[/quote']

Wow, of course!!... gee that is so simple I just never thought of it like that.

Thanks for all the feedback. I'll do half-half and re-post on this thread. As for letting it mature for a year....I'll break out a bottle after 1 month (yeah that's young) and then see what happens. I do recall that with my first ever all extract stout I had to wait 2 months before it was drinkable and after 3 months it was soooooo much better.

Archived