Coopers Community

Increasing the ABV of IPA?

Scott1525228380

Just about to start my next batch of TC IPA. Good tasting brew but I would like to increase the ABV just a little. The first batch was around 3.8% and would like to try and get nearer 4.5% if possible. It might last a little longer! [biggrin]

My first batch was the 'Mid-Strength' recipe i.e.

\u2022 1.7kg Thomas Coopers IPA

\u2022 500g LDM

\u2022 300g Sugar or Dextrose

I know the 'Authentic' calls for 1Kg LDM and 500g Sugar or Dextrose but does say it is very bitter - not sure if I really want this... so

I was wondering would just increasing the sugar content from 300g to 500g (still using just 500g LDM) increase the ABV?

Hi Scott,

Increasing the sugar/dex to 500g should bring it up to around 4.4%.

The "authentic IPA" is bitter but is a good drop. If you don't want to do this recipe I'd be more incined to increase the LDM to 1kg and keep the rest of the recipe as is. This will bring it up to somewhere just shy of 5% but I think it will do the flavour more justice than just raisng the sugar.

i agree with muddy. adding more malt will make a better beer.

i just put down an IPA today myself. mine went like this:

1.7 Kg TC IPA

905 g Can. Blonde

566 g amber malt

28 g cascade hops 20min boil

14 g cascade flame out

2 packets of coopers yeast(sprinkled dry). pitched @ 22C

O.G. 1.046

hi scott,

it's good to hear from a fellow canuck.

i have to be very resourceful when finding my supplies. the local Overwaitea store stocks a good selection of cooper's cans, but none of the "sugars" to go with them. i look in the natural foods baking section of the store to find jars (566g) of organic amber malt and rice syrup. i buy my honey locally at the farmer's market. for my hops i turn to my LHBS. the selection is not so good, though and i am embrassed to tell you the expiry date on most of it.

as far as online shpping goes i have dealt with Northwest Hops down in Oregon. i bought myself some hops rizomes from them. i plan to grow them this spring and cut out the middle man. they also have cool T-shirts $10 (don't tell weggl i bought one though[bandit] ) the other online store i have found is defalcowines.com. out of ottawa. it is your "one stop shop" and they ship with canada post.

in the mean time brewing with toucan recipes is simple and satisfying.

Go Leafs Go

chad

Thanks Chad some interesting tips there to investigate.

Good to here from a local that appreciates their beer! [biggrin] I am just finding out how difficult it is to source local supplies. I get my Coopers cans, LDM and dextrose (giving it it try rather than sugar) from Save on Foods and will checkout the natural \\ baking foods section on my next visit. This is just my 3rd batch so slowly learning the ropes. I used to 'home brew' years ago back in the U.K. supplies were much easier to source there - Brit's like their beer. [lol]

Good luck with the hop growing - I like the sound of that! I am in the south Okanagan so probably the ideal climate... might have to give that a go in the future.

Trying not to sound daft, but what is 'toucan recipes'?

Go Canucks Go

Scott

Canadian, you do realise that you would be able to make your sugars equivelant to that of the coopers ones. All you need is maltodextrin, dextrose and Light Dry Malt.

Brew Enhancer 1

60% Dextrose + 40% Maltodextrin

Brew Enhancer 2

50% Dextrose + 25% Maltodextrin + 25% Light Dry Malt

Canadian, you do realise that you would be able to make your sugars equivelant to that of the coopers ones. All you need is maltodextrin, dextrose and Light Dry Malt.

Brew Enhancer 1

60% Dextrose + 40% Maltodextrin

Brew Enhancer 2

50% Dextrose + 25% Maltodextrin + 25% Light Dry Malt

And for our freinds north of the equator,

Corn Sugar = Dextrose (fully fermentable)

Corn Syrup = Maltodextrin (only about 17% fermentable - I think[innocent] )

for when/if making your own Brew Enhancers![cool]

trusty!!!!,

thank you, sir! i can't beleive maltodextrin is corn syrup! i've had a bottle of that stuff in the cupboard for years and i never knew i should make beer out of it. SWEET! any body around here says "malto-what?" when i ask about it. i feel like i just emerged from the cave!

i still can't get LDM in town unless some one has another name for it...

i agree with muddy. adding more malt will make a better beer.

Not always the case. Adding too much malt may produce a beer tasting too sweet. This depends on your own tastes and style of beer but think about balancing the bitterness and residual sugars. [wink]

trusty!!!!,

thank you, sir! i can't beleive maltodextrin is corn syrup! i've had a bottle of that stuff in the cupboard for years and i never knew i should make beer out of it. SWEET! any body around here says "malto-what?" when i ask about it. i feel like i just emerged from the cave!

i still can't get LDM in town unless some one has another name for it...

To confuse things further, the 'corn syrup' we have over here is dry, of course, as there is no liquid in a box of the BE's.

Dry syrup[alien]

dry syrup... weird... none the less it's still the same stuff as the liquid stuff minus the water? i'm so excited!

funny ,eh!?

you wait for an answer to an unasked question long enough and it turns out so simple you don't even have to bother asking.

PB2- well noted. balance is key. that might be the zen of homebrewing though. i don't think i'm there yet.

I brew. Therefore, I am.[joyful]

Dextrose and Maltodextrin are not always derived from corn (normally referred to as Maize on the product MSDS). For this reason, I prefer to not use the terms #%*@ syrup and #%*@ sugar.

Mind you, it just so happens that the dextrose and maltodextrin in our sugar blends are derived from corn [innocent]

Ok just brewed up the Authentic recipe - well almost:

\u2022 1.7kg Thomas Coopers IPA

\u2022 1Kg LDM

\u2022 500g Dextrose

\u2022 14g Coopers yeast - pitched @ 24deg C.

Made up to 23 litres (receipe calls for just 20Ltrs). OG 1.042 so estimate the final ABV to be around 5.3% [cool]

Any tips on how to avoid lumpy LDM? I add the LDM to the fermenter first and add hot (boiled) water (about 2 ltrs) and swirl or stir. I always seem to get the LDM to form clumps - this does appear to disappear by the time all the water is added and stirred thoroughly. Is the water to hot to start with?

The more Light Dry Malt you add the harder it is to avoid lumps. [devil]

The good news - any lumps will dissolve over the next few hours and the yeast will ferment without issue. Of course, it makes things a bit diffiuclt if you are wanting to record the OG.

It's a matter of keeping the ratio of dry product to water. Perhaps try 3 litres of water the next time you are dissolving 1kg of Light Dry Malt, 2 litres hot and 1 litre cold.[biggrin]

Thanks PB2... Ok, one last novice question (well, for the moment at least [lol] ) The batch that I just did I added 2 sachets of yeast marked; Coopers 7g 09810 IPA & Coopers 7g (brewers) 07909. First came with the kit, second from my local store.

Does this matter or should I use yeast with the same batch number?[unsure]

\t

Scott - The number just relates to ****ng date.

Have a look HERE for an explanation of yeast codes [biggrin]

EDIT: Why has the word pack.ing been censored above? It makes my post seem hostile [biggrin]

Muddy, can you please calm your posts down, I am very offended by the pack.ing word that you used. [sideways]

Thanks Muddy, understand the packaging date code now. I checked out the link to the explanation page but was still unable to identify what type of dried yeast I have.

It's in a gold coloured sachet, simply called "Coopers brewing yeast 7g NET" and other than the 23009 packaging date has the barcode 8819 00007 - perhaps PB2 can shed some light on this?

I would be thinking its just some Ale yeast out of the Original Series, Canadian Blonde or English Bitter kits, although dont take my word on it and we better let Paul decide on what it is.

EDIT: From my understanding of that page it is one that Coopers has specifically designed for us Homebrewers. Also I have a feeling the code that is on the sachet is what is in brackets and the Ac etc is just what type of yeast it is.

Archived