Coopers Community

Recipe Resource - Relevance or Reform

PB2

Hey all,

from the subject heading you may think it's "Speak like a Pirate day", arrr [biggrin]

Lately, I've been thinking that the recipe resource has gone off the rails [pinched]

A bit of background.

When we looked to open the recipe resource room (prior to this new site), we wanted it to be exactly as described - a resource. As such, it was meant to be easily searched. To this end, subject headings were meant to be relevant and include at least one of the following:

1. a beer kit, eg OS Lager

2. a commercial beer, eg Hobgoblin

3. a beer style, eg Imperial Stout

Our current site (now one year old) caters for recipes, to some extent, in the How to Brew section and new recipes are added from time to time. However, this section is not an area that I can easily restructure to facilitate searching by beer style, beer kit or commercial beer name.

To get the Recipe Resource room back to being useful, I plan to:

- Moderate the room more strictly.

- Place an announcement at the top of the topic list detailing the purpose of the room.

- Delete or move irrelevant posts.

- Edit subject headings of remaining topics as required.

Any thoughts, suggestions, comments

Agreed.

I used to go in and look specifically for a particular beer I wanted to make but found it was hard to navigate because of some of the more Brewing Blether type threads.

In saying that I am 100% sure that I have contributed to the mess [bandit]

Yes I too agree. A resource area can not stray from exactly that otherwise it just gets out of hand and eventually nobody will bother using it. It needs to have REAL STRICT guidelines and admins reserve the right to alter any posts etc to suit the criteria of the forum.

I agree that the thread headings need to have a specific style of beer or beer kit in them. A little tiny bit of info with the beer kit mentioned should be in the thread name as well. I see a lot of threads that just say "English bitter" and skip them because I've already made it, however if it said English bitter hops/malt suggestions I would be interested.

As far as keeping things on topic goes, I agree it's important but sometimes the off topic teaches me something I wouldn't have otherwise learned so I'm on the fence for how strict the post deletion should be.

I'd agree too, although I was a bit worried as this post arrived just after I posted in the Recipe Resource area\u2026

There is a line between commenting on a recipe and straying from the topic, albeit sometimes a fine one\u2026 I believe the recipe resource should be a way of posting recipes, describing results (triumphant or otherwise), and inviting comments or suggestions.

A systematic way of starting the post as Slurtis has suggested would definitely help!

Is it possible for the recipes resource to be set up with a kind of template that prompts you to add all the relevant info for a full and relevant recipe.

Also, it would be good if the recipes were locked at 1 post - ie. The actual. A link could be included to redirect to the discussion area thread for that particluar recipe (Kinda like on AHB).

Any discussion could be a separate thread to the actual recipe [rightful]

Being a forum Administrator on a Australia wide forum(Not hombrewing) , i can understand the dilemmas this forum faces.

After looking around and as Paul has stated this forum is not moderated, so topics get overun, lose relevance and questions never answered. In saying that it has plenty of information here maybe a restructure is needed. Possibly take on some of the suggestions posted in this thread.

Don't forget once you start moderating users and posts it can get messy big time, although everyone here seems to be very tolerant of jibes etc which shows the nature of us homebrewers.[biggrin]

My advice would be to make sure everyone knows to stay on topic in each thread makes it less time reading threads, but this will change the fabric of this forum.

With the recipe resource decide if its a database, which just states the actual recipe or whether you want comments attached to each recipe thread.

It seems to go against the general chaos theory approach that makes this forum so appealing, but I see your point. [biggrin]

Perhaps one option is to compile all the successful recipes into a list / database - ie, leave recipe resource for asking questions / planning your brew, but when you make a winner, it can be submitted to Sir PB2 for assessment and if given the thumbs up, filed away as a permanent resource with a relevant heading and full ingredient list.

Or not...

Cheers

Dan

It seems to go against the general chaos theory approach that makes this forum so appealing' date=' but I see your point. [biggrin']

Perhaps one option is to compile all the successful recipes into a list / database - ie, leave recipe resource for asking questions / planning your brew, but when you make a winner, it can be submitted to Sir PB2 for assessment and if given the thumbs up, filed away as a permanent resource with a relevant heading and full ingredient list.

Or not...

Cheers

Dan

And then the name of Recipe Resources can be used for this system Dan has explained and then the current one could be called something that more suits what it is.

I think the recipes should also be able to be search via what type it is, for eg if I was looking for a stout I pick the dropdown and all stouts show up.

Is it possible for the recipes resource to be set up with a kind of template that prompts you to add all the relevant info for a full and relevant recipe.

My only concern with this approach is that it may not enable discussions on the proposed reciepe. The recipe submitted may be 'draft' which may require input from others to improve the outcome of the finished product. I agree subject lines should be a bit more specific - i know i can improve in this area.

What i would like to see, is a recipe resource. A section where you can go to have a look at a proposed recipe and the discussions that flow on from others either attempting to make and offer constructive feedback, or offering suggestions on how to improve the beer.

I will admit the since the Search function has been enabled I have used it for searching for recipes & there is a lot to trawl through in Recipe Resources. The idea of a template style forum has merit. Discussion of these recipes could be handled in the Brewing Blether forum. If an obvious deficiency/improvement is detected in a recipe posted & the person who entered the recipe is in agreeance with the proposed changes the original post could be amended, possibly only by the moderators.

Sorry...rambling...hope this made sense to someone[crying]

Simple lock a recipe so that no reply can be made so its a view only.

I still think you'd need some kind of template so that all the relevant info is entered otherwise the recipes might be a bit confusing to some. People sometimes don't think to put all the useful info - like when someone asks a question about the beer they're brewing and people need to first aske what temp are they brewing at, what yeast are they using, what volume is the brew etc. etc.

Well, just my 2cents worth (probably worth as much as dust) as a newbie to the "brewing world" I for one would like to see some form of "Kit and Kilo" recipe area or "Beginner Area" you know recipes that are simple to produce and dont use a myriad of ingredients

Then maybe a "brew copies" forum for those beer clones that everyone eventually wants to emulate....

and them maybe an "advanced brewer" section - for those who are into the grain processing and that kind of stuff...

Maybe an idea would be to "lock" recipe threads after they are added??? (time consuming for the moderators, but it could stop all the Q and A topics that get added to a recipe...

Just an idea anyway...

Cheers

Chris

Chris,

Just look up how to brew under Brewer's Guild.[innocent]

Cheers,

Peter

he he True That...I do look there, but surely theres some guys out there who have experimented with kits and simple ingredients. or how about two can mixes with various kits etc etc....they wont feature on the Coopers site.....

As a newbie i've gone into a few posts in the recipe resource and thought - the the H3(k are they talkin bout.....some of the recipes look like the Davinci code to me and my limited knowledge - I would like to be able to head into a section that suits my level of experience (which is er none! [lol] )

Chris

Chris

Archived