Coopers Community

Cinnamon beer

I got inspired by a cinnamon beer I had recently and want to try making a cinnamon dark ale. I have a bit of an idea for the grain bill and I think Notty is my friend here. Just the hops I am unsure about. I could go down the trusted EKG and Fuggle path but am wondering if there might be better suited hops to use. The beer will likely have a fair bit of sweetness which should go well with the cinnamon. I want to keep bitterness low as to not interfere with the main star of the brew.

Any suggestions? 

5 hours ago, Aussiekraut said:

Any suggestions? 

I used saaz in 3 out of 5 and recall it being a lovely beer. It had a fair whack or caraaroma too
ekg, fuggles anything old school, earthy or spicy

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Aussiekraut said:

I got inspired by a cinnamon beer I had recently and want to try making a cinnamon dark ale. I have a bit of an idea for the grain bill and I think Notty is my friend here. Just the hops I am unsure about. I could go down the trusted EKG and Fuggle path but am wondering if there might be better suited hops to use. The beer will likely have a fair bit of sweetness which should go well with the cinnamon. I want to keep bitterness low as to not interfere with the main star of the brew.

Any suggestions? 

Here are some of the Coopers Recipes with cinnamon added.  Not all dark beers though.  Maybe they can give you some ideas.

I did the Spicy Brunette a few years ago.  It was pretty basic, but you could detect the cinnamon.  Based on the recipes, do not be scared of a few IBU's, especially in a dark brew.

• Like 2