Coopers Community

Craft breweries struggling.

Oldbloke

Yes a little sad. Unfortunately though that is reality. There have been astronomical increases in costs in Australia in the last 12 months and in an industry that is energy intensive in production, the spiraling costs of electricity are hurting a lot of industries, including small scale breweries.

• Sad 1

Another reason craft breweries in particular are struggling is because I’d say craft beer on the whole teams to lean towards more alcohol than less, and the tax on alcohol is indexed to inflation TWICE a year (feb and aug I think), and given inflation recently has been going through the roof in Aus (comparatively), beer is reaching untenable prices when weighed against the cost of living rising so rapidly across the board.  Prices for beer by the carton and by the tap in the pub are just ridiculous now. Any time if looked at the price of beers on tap while out recently I just have to shake my head. I mostly find when out that restaurants are charging $9-$10 a bottle of generic mega swill, and pubs are charging $7-$9 for schooners of the same and usually anywhere between $10-$15 per schooner of anything deemed “craft”. As much as I want to support craft/independent breweries and a variety of good beer, it’s simply unaffordable anymore. Home brewing is almost the exclusive way of the future, at least for me. No more “going to the pub for a few beers”.

https://www.ato.gov.au/business/excise-on-alcohol/excise-duty-rates-for-alcohol/#:~:text=The CPI indexation factor for,due to other law changes.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, NBillett09 said:

Another reason craft breweries in particular are struggling is because I’d say craft beer on the whole teams to lean towards more alcohol than less, and the tax on alcohol is indexed to inflation TWICE a year (feb and aug I think), and given inflation recently has been going through the roof in Aus (comparatively), beer is reaching untenable prices when weighed against the cost of living rising so rapidly across the board.  Prices for beer by the carton and by the tap in the pub are just ridiculous now. Any time if looked at the price of beers on tap while out recently I just have to shake my head. I mostly find when out that restaurants are charging $9-$10 a bottle of generic mega swill, and pubs are charging $7-$9 for schooners of the same and usually anywhere between $10-$15 per schooner of anything deemed “craft”. As much as I want to support craft/independent breweries and a variety of good beer, it’s simply unaffordable anymore. Home brewing is almost the exclusive way of the future, at least for me. No more “going to the pub for a few beers”.

https://www.ato.gov.au/business/excise-on-alcohol/excise-duty-rates-for-alcohol/#:~:text=The CPI indexation factor for,due to other law changes.

Agreed, I only ever go when it is Happy Hour, but I am lucky as my local has a "Beer of the Month" special from 12.00 -700 daily, 7 days a week.

It can be Coopers Pale Ale/XXXX/Great Northern/TED's & so on, so for &6.00 for a pint & $6.50 for an Imperial Pint it is affordable to have a few.

I haven't bought a carton for years.

• Like 2

And now for something different.

TROPICAL TROOPER SUMMER DAZE NEIPA 6.5% ABV - Dainton Beer. 

Dainton Brewery

Big blasts of pineapple, grapefruit, mandarin and lemon meringue hit the nose thanks to a Supertrooper-esk load of Hallertau Blanc, Mosaic and Citra hops. A classic Dainton NEIPA with a smooth and pillowy body and a refreshing, tropical finish.

It has an amazing blast of hops & fresh notes, lovely bitter finish & I would buy this again. It would make a great summer drink.

20230625_165741.thumb.jpg.a52b20cc8965eb898145837c2c0c69b8.jpg

• Like 3