Coopers Community

Simple sMasH advice

I'm thinking to do a super simple smash on the stove simply using 2 cans of LME and Nelson Sauvin hops. I've got some Verdant IPA Yeast on the way.

Can anyone give some scholary advice as to how long and how much hops to boil in what stages? I suspect I might need to do an initial long boil, is it OK to boil LME for so long (say, up to an hour, if necessary)?

Salutations, my fine sages.

51 minutes ago, ChairmanDrew said:

I'm thinking to do a super simple smash on the stove simply using 2 cans of LME and Nelson Sauvin hops. I've got some Verdant IPA Yeast on the way.

Can anyone give some scholary advice as to how long and how much hops to boil in what stages? I suspect I might need to do an initial long boil, is it OK to boil LME for so long (say, up to an hour, if necessary)?

You could probably just boil the water and the hops and add the cans later.

• Like 1

On 6/1/2023 at 10:30 PM, ChairmanDrew said:

You are talking about doing an Extract brew.  The Coopers recipe Cascarillo Amber Ale is an example of the same thing.  Boiling the extract can make it darker.  However, like the Cascarillo recipe you do not have to boil it all.  Just 500g in 8 litres of water will be enough.  Apparently hop bitterness is extracted better in a wort boil than a plain water boil.  Just add the rest of the extract after the boil.

Here's an example of a simple recipe you could do:

• 2 x 1.5kg Coopers Light Malt Extract
  • 15g Nelson Sauvin 60 minute boil
  • 10g Nelson Sauvin 30 minute boil
  • 10g Nelson Sauvin 5 minute boil
  • 15g Nelson Sauvin Whirlpool
  • Verdant IPA yeast

Follow the process generally as described in the Cascarillo recipe and you should be right.

image.thumb.png.e54da478417464300d67b3d5f8fd93d7.png

• Like 6

10 minutes ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

• Verdant IPA yeast

Follow the process generally as described in the Cascarillo recipe and you should be right.

Awesome my dude. I basically was just asking about how long to boil extract and hops for, because I've only ever brewed with a pre-hopped extract (which obviously you don't need to boil). You nailed it.

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, ChairmanDrew said:

Awesome my dude. I basically was just asking about how long to boil extract and hops for, because I've only ever brewed with a pre-hopped extract (which obviously you don't need to boil). You nailed it.

Another option is to boil more hops for a shorter time.  For example:

image.png.1babcf8efd86d52cc9428772b1491f50.png

The shorter boil time means the Malt Extract will change colour less.  Not that it is going to go black or anything.  Plus the boil off will be a bit less.  So you could start with say 7 litres instead of 8.  The less volume to cool the better.

• Like 3

33 minutes ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

Another option is to boil more hops for a shorter time.  For example:

image.png.1babcf8efd86d52cc9428772b1491f50.png

The shorter boil time means the Malt Extract will change colour less.  Not that it is going to go black or anything.  Plus the boil off will be a bit less.  So you could start with say 7 litres instead of 8.  The less volume to cool the better.

Sounds good. I've got around 70gm of hops, so might as well just use them up.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

You are talking about doing an Extract brew.  The Coopers recipe Cascarillo Amber Ale is an example of the same thing.  Boiling the extract can make it darker.  However, like the Cascarillo recipe you do not have to boil it all.  Just 500g in 8 litres of water will be enough.  Apparently hop bitterness is extracted better in a wort boil than a plain water boil.  Just add the rest of the extract after the boil.

• Verdant IPA yeast

image.thumb.png.e54da478417464300d67b3d5f8fd93d7.png

And this, @ChairmanDrew, is why I call this guy The Guru. I still find it tragically unfair his parents merely called him Shane. 🤣

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

2 hours ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

Amazing

The extra effort and info that you provide is, as always .. just amazing

Thank You @Shamus O'Sean

• Like 4