Coopers Community

Brew enhancer and dextrose?

Bensbrew2021

Hi all. New to brewing here. First batch down, all going well.

Just wondering with my next brew can we use brew enhancer 2 plus dextrose as well or is it better to use one or the other. If so how much dextrose should be used along with the brew enhancer 2?

19 minutes ago, Bensbrew2021 said:

Just wondering with my next brew can we use brew enhancer 2 plus dextrose as well or is it better to use one or the other. If so how much dextrose should be used along with the brew enhancer 2?

Hey Ben. You can do so, but it depends on what you want to achieve? Dex will add more ABV, but also thin out the beer body a bit. If u like more body, you can try 500g of Dry malt extract with the BE2. The beer quality will be better. I normally use 1kg DME instead of BE2, but some might feel that makes the brew too sweet. Let us know your goals, then we can better advise you. Cheers

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, Bensbrew2021 said:

Thanks mate. 

Reason was just to increase the alcohol volume just slightly  so I thought maybe adding the dextrose might achieve that. 

Yeah it definitely will do. You can add 200 - 500g to get a slight boost in Abv. You could even throw in two Be2, or the 500g malt extract to add the ABV and more flavour at the same time. Im sure some of the other guys will comment on exact numbers when adding the extra adjuncts

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Bensbrew2021 said:

Hi @Bensbrew2021 Welcome to the forum.

I would choose to use extra malt as well as the BE2 or even better use BE3, as @Pints says Dextrose will do the job but it will thin the beer, compare these Brew Enhancers on this chart,

As you can see BE3 has 20% less Dextrose & an extra boost of malt. You can also keep records of every brew & compare them & adjust them to suit your tastes.

84C798AF-4690-4F56-B4EA-D9CD300743B2.thumb.png.dbc6a74720c2390e169dd9a72b313a71(2).png.15cdb0f514f84257d0b41d7c942106b4.png

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Bensbrew2021 said:

So a pretty standard 23 litre batch, made from a can of Coopers concentrate plus BE2 or similar, will get you around 4.2% ABV.  This includes bottle priming with carbonation drops or sugar or similar.  Every 100g of Dextrose added to such a brew will give you about 0.2% extra ABV.  But I would not go much over 500g extra because of the reasons others have already said.

• Like 4