Coopers Community

Lowenbrau recipe

Bruce1952

I live in the U.S. (South Carolina) and used to enjoy Lowenbrau when it was sold here. Recently I began thinking about it again and decided to search out a home brew recipe for it. I found one link to a recipe <http://www.grumpys.com.au/r1.php3?recipeid=10>, but the link is old and tells me I don't have permission to access it. I did manage to find a short discussion about brewing Lowenbrau here in the forums; however, there wasn't a great deal of details and no actual recipe, just a mention of a kit. It's certainly not a world class beer, but I would like to see how close I can get to the taste I remember. 

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Bruce1952 said:

I live in the U.S. (South Carolina) and used to enjoy Lowenbrau when it was sold here. Recently I began thinking about it again and decided to search out a home brew recipe for it. I found one link to a recipe <http://www.grumpys.com.au/r1.php3?recipeid=10>, but the link is old and tells me I don't have permission to access it. I did manage to find a short discussion about brewing Lowenbrau here in the forums; however, there wasn't a great deal of details and no actual recipe, just a mention of a kit. It's certainly not a world class beer, but I would like to see how close I can get to the taste I remember. 

I don't have one but found an all grain recipe if that helps.

9lbs 4oz Pilsner
8oz Munich 
4oz Melanoiden malt
0.5oz Perle (7.3%) @60min
0.3oz Perle (7.3%) @20min
0.6oz Hallertauer (2.7%) @5min

Batchsize 5.25gal
Mash: 60min @152F (single step, medium body)
Boil: 75min

It's not my recipe, so I cannot rate it or tell how close it gets to a Löwenbräu Helles.

• Like 3

Many thanks for this recipe. I have a Sabco Brewmagic three kettle system, so all-grain is preferred to extract. My RIMS has been packed away for a few years, but now I'm retired from work and am getting it back out and ready to brew. This should make a great 'welcome back to brewing' beer for me. I will see what types of yeast I can get online for a Helles and go with one of them. Thank you again!

• Like 4

4 hours ago, Bruce1952 said:

Many thanks for this recipe. I have a Sabco Brewmagic three kettle system, so all-grain is preferred to extract. My RIMS has been packed away for a few years, but now I'm retired from work and am getting it back out and ready to brew. This should make a great 'welcome back to brewing' beer for me. I will see what types of yeast I can get online for a Helles and go with one of them. Thank you again!

I would use trusty old Dubbya (W34/70), as it is a Bavarian strain but there are other Bavarian lager yeasts out there that'll do the job nicely.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Bruce1952 said:

now I'm retired from work and am getting it back out and ready to brew. This should make a great 'welcome back to brewing' beer for me.

I started home brewing when I retired too. I don't know how all our Coopers Community members who are working, including shift work and fly in fly out manage to do their brewing! 

It will be good to have someone from South Carolina in the network - will be interesting to hear about your brewing and gear and suppliers and ingredients.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, jennyss said:

I started home brewing when I retired too. I don't know how all our Coopers Community members who are working, including shift work and fly in fly out manage to do their brewing! 

It will be good to have someone from South Carolina in the network - will be interesting to hear about your brewing and gear and suppliers and ingredients.

I agree Jenny, I have an Instagram page & it is great fun communicating with brewers & breweries from all over the world, it is massive in the US as well as a lot of other countries.

It is so interesting how some of the techniques, methods vary yet so similar.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I dragged my kettles out and gave them a good cleaning last week. So far this week I have run through a water-only brew to make sure it all checks out. I am currently awaiting grain, yeast, etc., shipments to arrive so I can get a brew going. I added a temperature controller to an old refrigerator and so far it is maintaining set-point almost perfectly. I can't wait to get started.

• Like 7