Coopers Community

Problem carbing up beer

stquinto

1 hour ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

I would say that drop is just what has been absorbed.

HANG ON!!  It should not have dropped if you left it connected to your CO2 bottle.  So do you attach your gas, raise it to 30-40psi, and then disconnect the gas or leave it connected?

No, I left the gas off that keg. So it would seem that is absorbed it.

59 minutes ago, iBooz2 said:

@stquinto 

Sainter - I had a similar (if not the same) problem with my kegged batch of CIPA back in September 2022.  Kegged it up cold at 2 C and then proceeded to fast carb at 40 psi for 18 hours then disconnect the gas and leave for a few days.  Then re-connect the gas at serving pressure as per my normal routine and then leave keg at that pressure for a couple of weeks before trying a sample beer.

First test pour after three weeks was very disappointing.  Flat as a tack and looked terrible, similar to your pics.  I left it on serving pressure for a couple more weeks and then another test pour.  Once again it was very disappointing and a terrible looking beer.

So back it went on the fast carb cycle, 40 psi for another 18 hours then disconnected. Put back onto serving pressure for a few days then once again another test pour.  Bugger me it was still the same as the first pour a month or so ago.

So thinking this keg was not getting any gas pressure at all, disconnected the gas in line and pressed down on the centre pin of the gas in post on the keg sure enough gas came out as you would expect.  Then I pressed in on the centre pin of the gas ball connector whilst it was at serving pressure gas came out at you would expect.

So by now I was thinking that the post was maybe gummed up with beer crud, enough to stop the pin from the gas in connector from opening it up.

So as I could not remove and replace the gas in post to the keg (because it was already under pressure which I did not want to lose) I decided to replace the gas ball lock connector on the gas line.  Once I did this and put the keg back onto my fast carb schedule all was fine.

Now I don’t know if it was a stuck pin on the gas in post or the gas connector was not pushing hard enough on that post to open it up.  That keg of CIPA now pours and looks like a Kilkenny.  I will take a pic next pour.

BTW if your beer lines have split open under fast carb pressures then I suggest you have been sold dud vinyl lines instead of the proper EVA Barrier beer line specs as per link.  EVA Barrier beer line is rated up to 200 psi when it’s at 30 C and up to 100 psi when it’s at 50 C.  Just saying bloke!

Thanks @iBooz2 mate, I think I should change the ball lock connector, and take off the no-return valve just to test.

Cheers fellas 👍

• Like 1

After leaving it on 30 psi for 12 hours I’be got something of a head, but not much dissolved CO2. 
A Saison and a Duvel clone.

I decided to go back to a simple plastic gas connector, without the reverse filter thing.

I also got the cornie lid with the diffuser stone delivered today

B9A5384B-2765-4D0C-8742-83F9091A91C1.jpeg

BB5DC826-4DB9-4A38-AD0A-E5F3D175588C.jpeg

E6830E32-740D-4136-8F8A-594E64206DC9.jpeg

7983F60E-520E-4418-9A46-1258DF238DA5.jpeg

• Like 2

@stquinto I hope that fixes your problem do you think the metal ones wore away on inside or something? I found with after 2 years of use my plastic ones wont work on the cheap plastic kegs.

Only new plastic gas and liquid fittings fit them properly. So obviously my plastic ones have worn down also.

Gremlins hide everywhere in this hobby, I was finding carbing at 14 psi too much and now 12 not enough 🤪

• Haha 1

29 minutes ago, Uhtred Of Beddanburg said:

@stquinto I hope that fixes your problem do you think the metal ones wore away on inside or something? I found with after 2 years of use my plastic ones wont work on the cheap plastic kegs.

Only new plastic gas and liquid fittings fit them properly. So obviously my plastic ones have worn down also.

Gremlins hide everywhere in this hobby, I was finding carbing at 14 psi too much and now 12 not enough 🤪

I’ll let you know mate 😉

• Haha 1