Coopers Community

Adding Honey to brew

Brew Bro

Happy New Year fellow brewers. I have some questions about adding honey to beer. I am using the 23 litre Coopers DIY brewing kit with the Coopers DIY beers.  I am looking to make my first brew using honey, when should I add the honey to the brew and any recommendations to how much honey for a 23 litre brew? I was thinking about adding 300 grams of honey at the beginning of the fermentation. I am looking to make a beer with a subtle honey taste. I like the Coppers Pale Ale kit with the Coopers BE2 pack. I have also experimented with the LDM to improve the head retention and overall mouth feel of my brews. I use 2 carb drops per 700 ml PET beer bottle for the final fermentation. 

Thanks for your help and suggestions

G'day @Brew Bro

There are a couple of Cooper's recipes that include honey that might be a good guide.

The Beekeper uses a bit more than 300g.

There's also the Honey Kolsh. It uses 300g.

BYO says "The National Honey Board has done research into the effects of honey on beer. Their recommendations for amounts of honey added to a batch of beer (as a percent of total fermentables) are: 3 to 10 percent honey produces a subtle, floral flavor and delicate aroma; 11 to 30 percent produces a robust honey flavor that should be balanced by strong hop flavors, spices, or darker specialty malts; above 30 percent produces beer dominated by honey flavor, which verges on being what medieval brewers called “braggot.”   Some more good info in there if you are interested Link

You are probably on the money with that amount. Both add the honey at the start of fermentation. 

Good luck with the brew 👍🏽

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Brew Bro said:

Happy New Year fellow brewers. I have some questions about adding honey to beer. I am using the 23 litre Coopers DIY brewing kit with the Coopers DIY beers.  I am looking to make my first brew using honey, when should I add the honey to the brew and any recommendations to how much honey for a 23 litre brew? I was thinking about adding 300 grams of honey at the beginning of the fermentation. I am looking to make a beer with a subtle honey taste. I like the Coppers Pale Ale kit with the Coopers BE2 pack. I have also experimented with the LDM to improve the head retention and overall mouth feel of my brews. I use 2 carb drops per 700 ml PET beer bottle for the final fermentation. 

Thanks for your help and suggestions

I'd use 300-500g at the beginning of the fermentation. If you add it to the kilo of BE2, you will get a slightly stronger beer or you can cut some of the BE2 to keep things in check. It won't make a massive difference anyway. 

• Like 2