Coopers Community

Air lock yes or no /

Fardy1

Hi all, I am a new member so I have a few questions to ask of the crew !

I have started the journey with a Coopers brewing kit with the new style vessel and my question is ::: has anyone fitted an air lock to the newer type vessel and is there any real advantage to having one ?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Fardy1 said:

I have started the journey with a Coopers brewing kit with the new style vessel and my question is ::: has anyone fitted an air lock to the newer type vessel and is there any real advantage to having one ?

Hi @Fardy1 Welcome to the forum.

The Coopers Brew Kit does not have provision for an airlock. The jury is still out on whether the airlock is of any real use, on the older/Ambi style fermenters they can be fitted.

Some members actually don't use the & just tape over the hole & leave the lid slightly loose.

I personally like using them however it won't make your beer any better with or without it.

Here are some basics on the airlock.

https://www.bing.com/ck/a?!&&p=6301e5231aa7167eJmltdHM9MTY2Mzk3NzYwMCZpZ3VpZD0zZWNmNWZmYS03NjUyLTY5ZGYtMzA0OC00ZGQwNzczMjY4NzYmaW5zaWQ9NTE3MA&ptn=3&hsh=3&fclid=3ecf5ffa-7652-69df-3048-4dd077326876&u=a1aHR0cHM6Ly9iZWVyYW5kYnJld2luZy5jb20vYWlybG9jay1mdW5kYW1lbnRhbHMv&ntb=1

https://www.bing.com/ck/a?!&&p=6df7535f7b6ebbc9JmltdHM9MTY2Mzk3NzYwMCZpZ3VpZD0zZWNmNWZmYS03NjUyLTY5ZGYtMzA0OC00ZGQwNzczMjY4NzYmaW5zaWQ9NTI1OA&ptn=3&hsh=3&fclid=3ecf5ffa-7652-69df-3048-4dd077326876&u=a1aHR0cHM6Ly93d3cubm9ydGhlcm5icmV3ZXIuY29tL2Jsb2dzL25ldy10by1icmV3aW5nLXN0YXJ0LWhlcmUvYnJld2luZy1haXJsb2Nrcw&ntb=1

Edited by Classic Brewing Co
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Fardy1 said:

Welcome to the forum @Fardy1.  You are wasting your time fitting an airlock to the Coopers FV's as they are not sealed so will not force gasses out via the airlock and hence would render any airlock superfluous.  Just use it as it was designed for and keep it simple - Cheers AL

• Like 4