Coopers Community

Dry enzyme

Aussiekraut

I know there is a thread about this somewhere in the bowels of the site but I didn't want to resurrect a zombie. 

I got myself 2 packs of dry enzyme, just to see what it does and how it affects the beer. I am planning on another Clayton's Lager tomorrow but this time use dry enzyme. My question is of course how it affects the maltiness of the beer. The brew is mashed for full body and the grain bill is 40% Munich, so it is pretty sweet and rather malty, with just bitterness from the hops. How will the enzyme affect the beer? It will drop the body I suppose and reduce the sweetness but will there be any body and sweetness left or will the yeast be able to gobble up every last bit of sugar?

Does anybody have a fair bit of experience using the enzyme? 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Aussiekraut said:

I know there is a thread about this somewhere in the bowels of the site but I didn't want to resurrect a zombie. 

I got myself 2 packs of dry enzyme, just to see what it does and how it affects the beer. I am planning on another Clayton's Lager tomorrow but this time use dry enzyme. My question is of course how it affects the maltiness of the beer. The brew is mashed for full body and the grain bill is 40% Munich, so it is pretty sweet and rather malty, with just bitterness from the hops. How will the enzyme affect the beer? It will drop the body I suppose and reduce the sweetness but will there be any body and sweetness left or will the yeast be able to gobble up every last bit of sugar?

Does anybody have a fair bit of experience using the enzyme? 

I have only used dry enzyme twice.  So definitely not a "fair bit of experience".  But here goes anyway.  Both times, I used enzyme in kit 'n' kilo brews.  In my view, it made no difference to the flavour.  Both of the brews I did were still flavourful.

It does increase the yeast's attenuation.  One brew got from 1.046 to 1.000.  The other got from 1.046 to 0.996.  Brewfather did not account for using the enzyme.  If I was to use it again, I would adjust the yeast attenuation to 100%.  That way you can get an idea of what the real FG and ABV of your brew will be.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Aussiekraut said:

Ok, so the enzyme helps the yeast to eat more sugars, not transform non-fermentable sugars to something the yeast likes?

Perhaps, putting it another way, the enzyme breaks down complex sugars into a type of sugar the yeast can eat. 

I do not know, but I think that enzyme will not convert unfermentable sugars like Lactose into something the yeast can eat.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/15/2022 at 5:37 PM, Aussiekraut said:

Let's hope it doesn't have that dreaded alcohol taste once matured and carbed up.

I have only had alcohol taste in my RIS - and at 11% + it is actually oart of the style

• Like 2