Coopers Community

Cider back sweetening

Peter_1983

Hi all,

I have a Brigalow apple cider pack (first time using this brand), a kilo of dex, 3 kilos of fresh strawberries, about 300g of monk fruit sweetener and a bottle of strawberry extract. I'm looking to make a medium sweet Cider with all these wonderful ingredients.

I was going to set up the can the way it says, pasteurise and blend the strawberries, put in some monkfruit extract pitch the yeast, and yeast nutrient, then pour in the strawberry extract 24hours before bottling.

I know ciders can come out dry as all hell, my idea is to use the monk fruit sweetener to make it less dry. How much Monkfruit should you add to make a medium dry cider? 

Any and all advice welcome. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Peter_1983 said:

Hi all,

I have a Brigalow apple cider pack (first time using this brand), a kilo of dex, 3 kilos of fresh strawberries, about 300g of monk fruit sweetener and a bottle of strawberry extract. I'm looking to make a medium sweet Cider with all these wonderful ingredients.

I was going to set up the can the way it says, pasteurise and blend the strawberries, put in some monkfruit extract pitch the yeast, and yeast nutrient, then pour in the strawberry extract 24hours before bottling.

I know ciders can come out dry as all hell, my idea is to use the monk fruit sweetener to make it less dry. How much Monkfruit should you add to make a medium dry cider? 

Any and all advice welcome. 

I'd add it once fermentation has finished. That way you can set up the sweetness as you need it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Sorry can't help with the Monk Fruit. I hadn't heard of it until I opened this thread.

I make the Mangrove Jacks cider now and again.

it comes with a sachet of sweetener. I don't use it as I like my cider as dry as dry can be.

I've just had a look in the fridge and I have 3 packets of the sweetener.

Too late for this brew, but if you want to try it I can post it to you.

Or there is, or was a cider yeast with sweetener available on ebay at one time.

Another option. Get some Bicksfords Cloudy Apple cordial. Add a bit to the glass before pouring the cider.

My other comment is that I made the Brigalow cider once.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Peter_1983 said:

@Graculus is there any reason you only did it once? 

I do like the mangrove jacks cider packs and their apple cider is beautiful. 

Yes, I didn't think it was very good. Not worth the money. There's a reason it's cheap.

I like a good cider. I was born in the West Country of England. Loads of apple farms there that made their own cider.

I've tried all the ones available (as far as I know).

To me the Mangrove Jacks one is the best.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

@Graculus

It's turned out not too bad, granted Ive done a fair bit to it, with flavourings for both apple and strawberry and 500g of monkfruit extract with erythritol.

On its own it's a bit lackluster and flat, I have to pass on the message to the better half that brigalow isn't great stuff.

On 7/7/2022 at 5:49 PM, Graculus said:

Yes, I didn't think it was very good. Not worth the money. There's a reason it's cheap.

I like a good cider. I was born in the West Country of England. Loads of apple farms there that made their own cider.

I've tried all the ones available (as far as I know).

To me the Mangrove Jacks one is the best.

I've done three different Mangrove Jack Ciders. I am actually not a cider drinker, but I do enjoy them. I use the whole sachet, as I have a sweet tooth. Still have an Apple Blueberry pouch 

• Like 1