Coopers Community

Recipe advice?

Slopdog

Need some advice from some more experienced brewers that know what they are talking about.

I have an idea for a recipe

1 pale ale can
1 wheat malt can
150g Lactose
250g Oats
Dry hop day 3 50g each of galaxy, citra and mosaic
Dry hop day 6 50g each of galaxy, citra and mosaic
maybe some of the lalbrew new england yeast

Will this work or have i just thought of something totally random that wont come out how it sounds in my head?

Thanks all

58 minutes ago, Slopdog said:

Need some advice from some more experienced brewers that know what they are talking about.

I have an idea for a recipe

1 pale ale can
1 wheat malt can
150g Lactose
250g Oats
Dry hop day 3 50g each of galaxy, citra and mosaic
Dry hop day 6 50g each of galaxy, citra and mosaic
maybe some of the lalbrew new england yeast

Will this work or have i just thought of something totally random that wont come out how it sounds in my head?

Thanks all

Be a nice brew in the style of a Hazy Pale Ale. I'd use Lallemand Verdant IPA yeast. I did a similar all grain recipe using it. Was delicious. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Pale Man said:

Also how do you plan to use the oats?

Probably steep in hot water for 30 mins or so then add the lactose and boil fo a couple minutes

Edited by Slopdog
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Slopdog said:

Probably steep in hot water for 30 mins or so then add the lactose and boil for a couple minutes

Sounds about right, i have done that with a partial stout i made once and the results were good. Maybe up to 400 grams if youre aiming for a hazy? You'll need a fair bit of water or you'll just get porridge.

Maybe a mash at 60 deg C for 30 minutes or so. I like your recipe.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/11/2022 at 3:17 PM, Pale Man said:

Sounds about right, i have done that with a partial stout i made once and the results were good. Maybe up to 400 grams if youre aiming for a hazy? You'll need a fair bit of water or you'll just get porridge.

Maybe a mash at 60 deg C for 30 minutes or so. I like your recipe.

I'm actually going to make this tomorrow after work since I've collected everything i need to do so, how much water would you recommend for the 400g of oats? Just so i can make sure i have a big enough pot haha 

49 minutes ago, Slopdog said:

I'm actually going to make this tomorrow after work since I've collected everything i need to do so, how much water would you recommend for the 400g of oats? Just so i can make sure i have a big enough pot haha 

2 - 3 litres should do it. Would be nice if you had some grain of some sort to add to the mash.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Pale Man said:

2 - 3 litres should do it. Would be nice if you had some grain of some sort to add to the mash.

Might start off with this and add to it next batch.

I bought some paint strainer bags for the steep and dry hopping, but i found they are way too small to go around the rip of the pot. Should i go grab some bigger ones or would a tied up bag of oats immersed in the water be ok?

14 minutes ago, Slopdog said:

Might start off with this and add to it next batch.

I bought some paint strainer bags for the steep and dry hopping, but i found they are way too small to go around the rip of the pot. Should i go grab some bigger ones or would a tied up bag of oats immersed in the water be ok?

That would work, or you could strain the mash into your fermenter. Dont forget to boil the wort youve made after the mash.

• Like 2

On 5/26/2022 at 7:19 PM, Pale Man said:

That would work, or you could strain the mash into your fermenter. Dont forget to boil the wort youve made after the mash.

Okay update on this brew, its looking good and tasting good, however it seems to be fermenting very slow compared to the speeds i normally brew (Probably the weather and the fact i have no temp control) The Krausen is very sludgy looking and not overly bubbly. I dried hop on day 3 with hops in a paint strainer bag which i kinda of regret cause none of the aroma is coming through. Thinking of just dumping the hops in next dry hop. I was meant to do that today but considering its cold and slow fermenting should i wait a bit, or just do it? OG was 1.043 and we are currently sitting at 1.015

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Slopdog said:

Okay update on this brew, its looking good and tasting good, however it seems to be fermenting very slow compared to the speeds i normally brew (Probably the weather and the fact i have no temp control) The Krausen is very sludgy looking and not overly bubbly. I dried hop on day 3 with hops in a paint strainer bag which i kinda of regret cause none of the aroma is coming through. Thinking of just dumping the hops in next dry hop. I was meant to do that today but considering its cold and slow fermenting should i wait a bit, or just do it? OG was 1.043 and we are currently sitting at 1.015

Hey mate. The sludgy krausen cud be the hops kick starting the fermentation again. Called hop creep I think. Don't stress happens to me all the time haha. Regarding the aroma thing  I know what u mean, I tried a stocking twice and then went back to commando dry hop. Much better results. 

11 hours ago, PintsAtMeLocal said:

Hey mate. The sludgy krausen cud be the hops kick starting the fermentation again. Called hop creep I think. Don't stress happens to me all the time haha. Regarding the aroma thing  I know what u mean, I tried a stocking twice and then went back to commando dry hop. Much better results. 

If you dump hops in do they settle or do they end up in your bottles?

3 hours ago, Space said:

If you have a muslin bag or wrap them in a new clean chux usually weighted down with sanitsed spoon or marbles it reduces the chance of residue but even dry hopping I find they work there way to the bottom od the FV & stay in the yeast deposit. Occasionally I get a bit in a bottle but it's no big deal.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Space said:

I never use any kind of cloth, i just dump them in. Having said that i cold crash after fermentation is done. I've never had a problem.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Space said:

Very little gets in the bottle. I don't mind a little bit in my beers, but what I do when bottling,  once u get to the last bit and the bottling wand starts to clog, I remove the blue end so it's just the tube, I then use a funnel and a tea pot filter to get the last bits in without all the hops. 

Once the filter in full of hops I rinse in a bowl of water and repeat until I'm done 

IMG_20220603_074143.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...