Coopers Community

Adding Vanilla to Kit Brews

Space

OK, first off I apologise for asking something that I can see has been asked a few times before, but I've been doing some reading up and I'm getting mixed signals.   have a Bulldog 23litre Chocolate Stout kit, minus the chocolate flavouring sachet that seems to have gone missing so currently it's a chocolateless stout kit.

So here's the plan...  I have some good fresh vanilla pods.  I can make it a Vanilla stout because I freakin' love vanilla.  Reading up I've seen people boiling up and straining some vanilla pods at the beginning of the brew.  I've also read people saying you get a fresher hit by adding them at the end of fermentation - a couple of days before bottling, but I'm worried about bits of vanilla getting into the bottles or the taste not having a chance to steep into the beer.

Where do I stand with this?   Do I add a vanilla tea at the beginning?  Or can I use a technique similar to dry hopping and keep the floaty bits contained within a hop bag (or a disposable tea bag perhaps)?

Maybe both?  2 at the boil end?  1 or 2 towards the end?  Or is that too much even for a vanilla junkie?

• Like 1

Vanilla is expensive so maybe it's a waste?

Cut scrape steep in hot water and add the lot at the end of fermentation. CO2 can drive off volatiles (ie delicate aromas). 

Bits? you won't get much at all in terms of bits

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, interceptor said:

Vanilla is expensive so maybe it's a waste?

Cut scrape steep in hot water and add the lot at the end of fermentation. CO2 can drive off volatiles (ie delicate aromas). 

Bits? you won't get much at all in terms of bits

Thanks the reply.  Would a two day wait before bottling be about right or longer?  

• Like 1

Thanks lads.

My plan A is going to be two pods put in two days before I'm due ot bottle.  As a plan B I'm going to make a tincture.  I can add none, some or all of that at the end according to taste and if not used up I'll roll that over to the next one I make.  I guess - just like adding hops - this is a game of making your best guess and then adjusting your method in future brews.  

• Like 1

As an FYI, I've gone for making a tincture of 4 Ugandan fair trade vanilla pods, cut open and scraped out, added to half a small jam jar of smokey scotch whisky.  I'll add this before I bottle up and prime for secondary with a dark sugar.  I'll circle back in a month or two and update with results.

• Like 5

• 5 months later...
On 5/1/2022 at 4:24 AM, Space said:

As an FYI, I've gone for making a tincture of 4 Ugandan fair trade vanilla pods, cut open and scraped out, added to half a small jam jar of smokey scotch whisky.  I'll add this before I bottle up and prime for secondary with a dark sugar.  I'll circle back in a month or two and update with results.

So how did it go? I love Vanilla Stout and would love to give it a go if you had success

• Like 1