Coopers Community

plastic bottles

fiik

As an experiment, wash a PET bottle with hot water straight out of the tap. Or maybe not, as the thing will start melting and distorting. No hot water and no detergent for the PET bottles. Rinse immediately after pouring out the beer, then when you sanitise use cool or warm water and an appropriate sanitiser like sodium percarbonate, iodophor etc

• 2 weeks later...

My cleaning/sanitizing process is the same for PET or glass.

Pour beer, rinse bottle with hot water and drain then store upside down.

On bottling day I fill a 5lt bucket with water and add 5ml Iodophor then dunk the bottles in the solution, quick shake, drain solution back into bucket and leave the bottles to dry upside down

As for new PETs a quick rinse is all that is needed if your water supply is good.

I know that Sydney water is considered sterile by the Health professions and believe MOST capital city's as well.

Sydney water sterile? What about those lovely little Giardia and Cryptosporidium that were swimming around in it a while back [sick]

(On a serious note, the water supplies are considered safe, but they are certainly not 'sterile')

Sanitised bottles are not sterile. To sterilise them you would have to steam them and they would melt.

I just rinse out with warm water a couple of times, spray Isophor into them put the caps on. I drain them and let them dry when i'm ready to use. Have not had a problem to date.

Archived