Coopers Community

What to add to Real Ale

5 minutes ago, TheChadxxx said:

I just picked up a real ale tin and BE2 and I’m looking for cheap and easy ideas to improve on it. Nothing fancy. I was thinking maybe some honey. Anyone got any suggestions 

toucan it with something like the draught or lager can (ie use a second can and both yeasts)

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, TheChadxxx said:

I just picked up a real ale tin and BE2 and I’m looking for cheap and easy ideas to improve on it. Nothing fancy. I was thinking maybe some honey. Anyone got any suggestions 

Mate I just bottled a Real Ale, I have done quite a few of them, it is great as it is why would you add anything & spoil the natural taste, other than some hops of course, I like it as much as I do Pale Ale, I wouldn't add anything it is fine as it his IMO.

• Like 1

Just now, Classic Brewing Co said:

Mate I just bottled a Real Ale, I have done quite a few of them, it is great as it is why would you add anything & spoil the natural taste, other than some hops of course, I like it as much as I do Pale Ale, I wouldn't add anything it is fine as it his IMO.

@Stickers suggestion is OK too but you don't want it sweet.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, TheChadxxx said:

Here you go.  Coopers Recipe Spreadsheet filtered for those recipes that use a Real Ale can.  It is also used in most of the Coopers Vintage Ale recipes too.

Coopers Recipe Spreadsheet V2.12.12- Real Ale.xlsx

To keep it real simple you could just dry hop with a couple of those Galaxy or Cascade teabags you can get from Big W.

As others have said the Real Ale can is good on its own.  But it takes to additions and extras really well too.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, d_m said:

I have made the unreal ale recipe coopers has, it was really good

https://www.diybeer.com/au/recipe/unreal-ale.html

Agreed.  I did that one, but I added a 200g steep of Light Crystal Malt grains.  I also did a version with a short boil, a hot steep and a dry hop with Galaxy and Cascade.  It was a beauty.

• Like 3