Coopers Community

Yeast help

Slopdog

Hey everyone, I'm wanting to start my second Brew ever. I have purchased a mangrove jacks juicy session IPA kit. I have an issue thought, my apartment is super hard to keep temp down and being at work all the time I find it hard to regulate. I'm pretty sure the kit comes with west coast ale yeast, however if I switch this for kviek yeast which works better with higher temps, would this effect the end result of the kit. I'm really after something tropical fruity and refreshing. Should I switch up yeasts or wait till it's cooler?

Thanks 

4 minutes ago, Slopdog said:

Hey everyone, I'm wanting to start my second Brew ever. I have purchased a mangrove jacks juicy session IPA kit. I have an issue thought, my apartment is super hard to keep temp down and being at work all the time I find it hard to regulate. I'm pretty sure the kit comes with west coast ale yeast, however if I switch this for kviek yeast which works better with higher temps, would this effect the end result of the kit. I'm really after something tropical fruity and refreshing. Should I switch up yeasts or wait till it's cooler?

Thanks 

Hi @Slopdog Personally I would say it wouldn't affect the flavour & also as you say safer with higher temperatures, others may disagree but it is a Premium Ale yeast so it should be fine.

I assume you are talking about brewing at ambient temperature without a brew fridge & temp control, but I do many brews at ambient with good results. If you are at work all day it is hard to muck about with ice baths, fans, wet towels etc so Kveik IMO would work, in fact I am drinking a Pale Ale now done the same way.

More than likely the other yeast would be fine but you would have to try & keep it under about 22c to end up with a nice beer.

It also depends on where you are & how hot it gets in your apartment.

Cheers

Phil

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Classic Brewing Co said:

Hi @Slopdog Personally I would say it wouldn't affect the flavour & also as you say safer with higher temperatures, others may disagree but it is a Premium Ale yeast so it should be fine.

I assume you are talking about brewing at ambient temperature without a brew fridge & temp control, but I do many brews at ambient with good results. If you are at work all day it is hard to muck about with ice baths, fans, wet towels etc so Kveik IMO would work, in fact I am drinking a Pale Ale now done the same way.

More than likely the other yeast would be fine but you would have to try & keep it under about 22c to end up with a nice beer.

It also depends on where you are & how hot it gets in your apartment.

Cheers

Phil

It gets pretty warm, my first Brew with the lager that came with the Cooper's kit sat at 30 degrees almost the whole time it was fermenting. Luckily though, it still turned out not bad

1 minute ago, Slopdog said:

It gets pretty warm, my first Brew with the lager that came with the Cooper's kit sat at 30 degrees almost the whole time it was fermenting. Luckily though, it still turned out not bad

Wow that is a temp way over the recommended brewing temp for a lager, 7-13c would be considered ideal however you can push the boundaries a little, too far & you develop off flavours & other issues. It would still be beer but not necessarily the best tasting beer.

• Like 1

A basic setup of a second hand fridge (the bigger the better), an inkbird controller and a heat belt (or heat pad) doesn't cost a lot and is easy to setup.   You just need a a bit of gaffer tape and maybe a piece of board to make a stronger fridge shelf.  It's well worth the investment.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Slopdog said:

Yeah I realised that after I pitched it haha, but I might go the kveik route with this next one I think

Yep, go with the Kveik.  It will go well around 30°C.

The Coopers Original Series Lager that comes with the kit actually has an Ale yeast.  It would have handled 30°C much better than a true lager yeast.  Still 30°C is not ideal for even an Ale yeast.

• Like 1