Coopers Community

Substitution for Mexican Cerveza in “Day for it Recipe”

Big Sarlikus

Just now, Big Sarlikus said:

Hi to all.

Wanna try “Day for it” recipe. ATM I have at home Coopers Draught and Coopers European Lager cans. Can I use one of it as a substitute to Mexican Cerveza from recipe and if yes which one is better? 
Thanks in advance.

i'd go the draught over the eurolager as the draught uses the same R007 yeast as the cerveza can, personally.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Stickers said:

i'd go the draught over the eurolager as the draught uses the same R007 yeast as the cerveza can, personally.

So the idea the same yeast=more similar taste profile? I will use lallemand kveik yeast in this recipe.

IMO they used Mexican Cerveza in recipe because of it low bitterness and taste. The main taste of this recipe came from hops addition. In this case European lager more similar because it have almost the same level of ibu as Mexican Cerveza have. But I never use European lager as the base for hoppy ale, so maybe draught is optimal choice in my situation.

• Like 1

ahh i didn't realise you were going to use kveik. i'd still go the draught as i prefer that can and i find it quite neutral taste wise, i didn't like the time i did a eurolager with an ale yeast can at ale temps. again, all just personal preference here.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Big Sarlikus said:

So the idea the same yeast=more similar taste profile? I will use lallemand kveik yeast in this recipe.

Not necessarily. There are many factors, yeast is just one of them. Temperature, grain bill, hops, etc. all play part in it. It also depends on the yeast itself.

The Cervesa kit is, as you pointed out, not heavily hopped and thus more suitable for certain types of beer. Canadian Blonde is also a good basis, for the same reasons. I don't know which of your two options is more suitable. I suppose the Euro Lager is a little cleaner in taste, so closer to a "blank" canvas than the draught. But don't nail me on that one. It's been a while since I brewed a k&k. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Stickers said:

Think u find mexican cerveza has ale plus lager blend unless the yeast has changed and not updated on PB2 old post.

• Like 1

Today I read every recipe at coopers diy site. It’s obvious what European lager is used almost only for lager recipes, but draught recipes also mostly for lager. And Mexican cerveza is often in ale recipes. Why so? Is Mexican cerveza fermented at ale’s temperature taste nice? I always wanna try it as a lager not ale. 

Will try “Day for it” with European lager. Found it’s in ale recipe “Citrus Sail season” which looks similar to my try. Hope it will go nice for it.

sorry for my English btw, not a native speaker here.

• Like 1

@Big Sarlikus you speak very well dont worry i grew up in Aus and speak and write terrible. Where do you live or country come from? Sorry i can not answer your question about mexican can i have never brewed it. Coopers use different tins for recepies so can modify things and make brewing more enjoyable. Adding malt and hops etc but in reality they need to cover all tins in recepies so people buy them.  In gereral i would think lager yeast would suit it better but just a guess i prefer lagers mostly. Hoppy pale ales next.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jezza jedi said:

@Big Sarlikus you speak very well dont worry i grew up in Aus and speak and write terrible. Where do you live or country come from? Sorry i can not answer your question about mexican can i have never brewed it. Coopers use different tins for recepies so can modify things and make brewing more enjoyable. Adding malt and hops etc but in reality they need to cover all tins in recepies so people buy them.  In gereral i would think lager yeast would suit it better but just a guess i prefer lagers mostly. Hoppy pale ales next.

I’m from Russia👋
Here Aus sound more like Austria than Australia 😁

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Big Sarlikus said:

Today I read every recipe at coopers diy site. It’s obvious what European lager is used almost only for lager recipes, but draught recipes also mostly for lager. And Mexican cerveza is often in ale recipes. Why so? Is Mexican cerveza fermented at ale’s temperature taste nice? I always wanna try it as a lager not ale. 

Will try “Day for it” with European lager. Found it’s in ale recipe “Citrus Sail season” which looks similar to my try. Hope it will go nice for it.

sorry for my English btw, not a native speaker here.

In the end, it is the yeast and the process that determines whether a beer is a lager or an ale. Bottom fermenting yeast at low temperatures make a lager style beer, top fermenting yeasts at higher temps make an ale. If you are using Kveik on very high temperature, it will make you an ale, even with the lager kit. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Big Sarlikus said:

Today I read every recipe at coopers diy site. It’s obvious what European lager is used almost only for lager recipes, but draught recipes also mostly for lager. And Mexican cerveza is often in ale recipes. Why so? Is Mexican cerveza fermented at ale’s temperature taste nice? 

Hi Big Sarlikus and welcome to the Forum.

The question about which Coopers can in which recipe is based on the malts used in the production of the cans.  Unfortunately, Coopers does not say what the malt combination is in each can.  When doing a Recipe of the Month, Coopers probably select the can with the ingredients closest to what suits the recipe they want to produce.

As @Aussiekraut says, the type of beer is mostly about what yeast you use.

A lot of the Coopers cans are reasonably interchangeable.  Just compare their bitterness (IBU's) and to a lesser extent their colour (EBC's).

• Like 3

Wanna say thx for all your thoughts and suggestions. 
Really interesting to try kveik yeast. Here in Russia it’s cold atm, but we have heating so I can adjust the comfort temperature. It’s more easy to reach 25C than 18.

Did this type of yeast work good in your climate? Seems like a good option for Australian beer makers!

• Like 1

16 hours ago, Big Sarlikus said:

Wanna say thx for all your thoughts and suggestions. 
Really interesting to try kveik yeast. Here in Russia it’s cold atm, but we have heating so I can adjust the comfort temperature. It’s more easy to reach 25C than 18.

Did this type of yeast work good in your climate? Seems like a good option for Australian beer makers!

Probably better for the northern States.  More consecutive days above 30°C.  Where I am in Melbourne, it can be a bit trickier.  Having said that, I can get my temperature controller freezer to 35°C without any issues any time of the year.

• Like 1