Coopers Community

Alcoholic Orangeade and Lemonade

Hi Guys,

I apologise if this has been covered before but I'm interested in possibly making some Alcoholic Orangeade and Alcoholic Lemonade. 

We have both an orange and lemon tree in the yard and each year we end up giving them away at work so I thought i may as well make more use of them this year and make some Ades.

Anyway I was thinking to start small and just brew a small trial batch in the craft fermenter, so has anybody got any recipe ides for Alcoholic Orangeade and Lemonade I could do in the craft fermenter? If it turns out ok I could then brew a full batch in the regular fermenter?

Cheers

Johno

• Like 2

• 6 months later...

hi,

sorry to drag up an old thread but could anyone please scale this recipe below  for me so I can brew it in the coopers craft fermenter?? Thanks in advance!

"You will need:

• A 25 or 30 litre fermenter *
• Enough bottles for 20 litres of lemonade
• A priming scoop for measuring sugar into the bottles *
• Homebrew sterilizing compound *
• Beer or screw top softdrink bottles

Ingredients:
  • 2kg dextrose *
• 500g lactose *
• 12-24 lemons, sliced or chopped fine including peel
• up to 50g crushed or grated fresh ginger (optional)
5g yeast nutrient *
• 1 sachet SAFale yeast *
• Water to make up 22 litres of wort *
* (Available from Liquorcraft)

Method:
  • Heat 5 litres of water then add dextrose, lactose, lemons & ginger & simmer for 20 minutes.

• Sterilize your fermenter according to directions on the sterilizing compound.

• Add about 12 litres of cold water into your fermenter. Pour the hot mixture through a straining bag (available at homebrew suppliers) into the fermenter.

• Top up with cold water to the 22 litre mark add the yeast nutrient & stir well.

• Make sure the temperature is 30C or less & add the yeast, fit a fermentation lock in the lid of the fermenter & half fill it with water.

• The fermentation should start within 24 hours although it usually ony takes a couple of hours to start. When it starts, bubbles should be rising through the lemonade & stream through the water in the airlock.

• Allow the lemonade to ferment until it stops then allow it to settle & clear for 48 hours.

• Use a priming scoop (available from Liquorcraft) to add a measure of sugar to each bottle."

• Fill the bottle to about 50mm from the top then seal it firmly with a crown seal or screw cap.

• Store these bottles in a warm place for a week or 2 to allow them to condition (become fizzy). They will now be ready to drink.

Notes:
You can vary the quantities of lemons & ginger to suit your own taste.

You cannot use sugar or glucose to sweeten a bottle fermented drink like this because it will cause the bottles to explode. This lemonade is sweetened with lactose which is a non-fermentable sweetener. You can add more or less lactose to suit your own taste. As a rough guide, lactose is about half as sweet as sugar.

3 hours ago, Johno1525228972 said:

scale this recipe below  for me so I can brew it in the coopers craft fermenter

the craft fermenter was aimed at 8.5L batches. Divide all the measurements by 2.5 and you get a batch size of 8.8L which will be close enough as this shouldn't have much of a krausen