Coopers Community

BROWN LARGER

weggl

Saw Craig on U Tube make the recipe below, thought I\u2019d give it a try.

Brewed at around 23-23C for 8days, racked for 5, been in the bottles for 14 days today. Had to try one. Surprisingly even after 14 days it is pretty good, maybe a little sweet and could probably do with a very slight amount of hops. Cant decide which though, I thought maybe a bit of steeped Amarillo. Wada ya rekon?

Paul or Muddy understand hops better than I, that\u2019s because they have had more practice tasting than I, so I am hoping for a uncomplicated answer from Muddy.

1 Can Coopers Larger \u2013 1 Kg Dark Brown Sugar

Yeast from Pale Ale

20 Litres

so I am hoping for a uncomplicated answer from Muddy.

No Offence to the great one but i don't think I've ever seen an uncomplicated answer from muddy about anything!! Thats why we love him!![biggrin] [biggrin]

If its sweet i'd stay away from "Fruity" hops like amarillo and use maybe Hersbrucker?? But that is ony one mans opinion and i am but one man

Warren, I'm guessing you mean to say "lager"?? Which this recipe is not...it's an ale.[rightful]

1kg of brown sugar is way too much simple sugar for my liking[pinched] Maybe drop it to 500g and add 500g of Light Dry Malt.

Amarillo hops should go okay.

I use hops a lot but I'm still in kindergarten - I've just started trying to use beersmith with my extract brews and can't seem to get it working properly. My initial thoughts would lean in more of an English hops kind of direction. Fuggles anyone? [unsure] I'd also add some malt and take it in a nut brown ale kinda direction. Never tried it myself so I'm really just thinking out loud.

Also, like Ross I thought that Coopers only made one size of lager. I know there were some mini cans for the Japanese market at some stage - but they'd be a Coopers Smaller. (try the veal [biggrin] )

I've got my hat - I'll see my self out [innocent]

Ross,

it is larger than lager, cant seem to get use to typing \u201clager\u201d you see I\u2019m new to this.

Paul,

I realised that I was not making \u201clager\u201d because of the Coopers Pale Ale yeast and the temp I was brewing it at. I called it \u201clager\u201d because that was the brew that came with the kit. I did not want to wait to winter to use it so I tried the b-sugar. I must say though for a beer that\u2019s only 14 days in the bottle it\u2019s pretty good. Maybe I have a sweet tooth.

If I go for the DME SUGAR mix it wont taste the same. I guess the flavour comes from the molasses in the dark brown sugar. It had an OG of 43 and an FG of 16, A% 4.1. The question is just how much of the 1 kg was sugar and how much was molasses? It would seem that because the FG was high then there must be quite some un-fermentable in the mix. If there were too much sugar would not the taste be \u201ccidery\u201d?

I think that if I could add just a hint of a little more bitter it would be a winner.

How to achieve that I know not, that why I though to steep some Amarillo or whatever I may achieve that.

However I will wait to see what another 2 weeks does to the taste.

Greg, your too slow old mate I\u2019ve already named it and if you try I\u2019ll sue you for plagiarism.

Muddy, once again I got the complicated version. The Japanese cans are actually called \u201cSmaller than Larger Lager\u201d. See you just learnt something from a \u201cnovice\u201d.

Warren

The whole "larger" scenario pops up from time to time but most people learn from the first time [lol] . Myself I just tend to leave out words and mix up letters - my posts usually make some sense in my head.

Bitterness is extracted from boiling hops (usually between the 30-60 min mark) whereas steeping hops is more for flavour and aroma. Amarillo will give a fruity or citrusy taste.

DME isn't a sugar mix, it is pure malt.

Muddy, once again I got the complicated version. The Japanese cans are actually called \u201cSmaller than Larger Lager\u201d. See you just learnt something from a \u201cnovice\u201d.

I don't want to be too picky but I think you will find they are actually called the "Super Happy Mini Big Larger Lager".

Archived