Coopers Community

MJs Pale Ale - anyone tried it?

Spursman

On 7/31/2021 at 7:09 AM, Spursman said:

About to try this kit.

Any suggestions or reviews would be appreciated. 

I have made that quite a few times, Coopers Pale Ale is one of my favorite beers but MJ is readily available & also a great beer, I find the pouches extremely easy to use & the rinse clean perfectly.

3 hours ago, CLASSIC said:

I have made that quite a few times, Coopers Pale Ale is one of my favorite beers but MJ is readily available & also a great beer, I find the pouches extremely easy to use & the rinse clean perfectly.

Just finished putting down the brew. Gotta say I found the pouch very awkward to handle and rinse. I'll probably go back to can kits unless this is an oustanding result. 

8 minutes ago, Spursman said:

Just finished putting down the brew. Gotta say I found the pouch very awkward to handle and rinse. I'll probably go back to can kits unless this is an oustanding result. 

Well for what it's worth my method was simple, I fill the sink with hot water just to warm up the contents & gently open the pouch forcing it to open as much as possible, pour the initial contents into the FV & return upright to the sink constantly rinsing & scraping the sides of the pouch with your sanitized stirring spoon & keep pouring into the FV. I find I can get it totally clean with no waste, same with the pouches of LME.

3 hours ago, CLASSIC said:

Well for what it's worth my method was simple, I fill the sink with hot water just to warm up the contents & gently open the pouch forcing it to open as much as possible, pour the initial contents into the FV & return upright to the sink constantly rinsing & scraping the sides of the pouch with your sanitized stirring spoon & keep pouring into the FV. I find I can get it totally clean with no waste, same with the pouches of LME.

Probably me being a bit ham fisted plus getting a bit stressed out because my fermenting fridge was having an (un)rostered day off work.

Was a bit surprised how dark the wort was.

1 minute ago, Spursman said:

Excellent idea. Do you recall your Pale Ale wort being really dark? It was more like English Bitter.

Not so much the Pale Ale, I have noticed a lot of the pouches I have had from MV have been dark although well in side the BB date, especially the Bitter/Draught etc.

However the taste & everything else is normal. The attached is a Bitter.

Bitter.jpg