Coopers Community

cook dry malt with hops or not?

Hi there,

I'd like to brew an IPA with extra hops.

Some recieps first do a "hop infusion" and then add this to the FV together with dry malt + the can (e.g. see https://www.diybeer.com/au/recipe/fruit-salad-ale.html)

other receipes cook the extra hops together with the dry malt and then add this to the FV (e.g. see https://www.diybeer.com/au/recipe/pacific-summer-ale.html)

Can someone please tell me the difference (in taste)? Should I do the one or the other? Is it based in my hops selection?

Thanks for any help and/or recommendation!

Cheers

Ralf

31 minutes ago, mr_roots said:

Hi there,

I'd like to brew an IPA with extra hops.

Some recieps first do a "hop infusion" and then add this to the FV together with dry malt + the can (e.g. see https://www.diybeer.com/au/recipe/fruit-salad-ale.html)

other receipes cook the extra hops together with the dry malt and then add this to the FV (e.g. see https://www.diybeer.com/au/recipe/pacific-summer-ale.html)

Can someone please tell me the difference (in taste)? Should I do the one or the other? Is it based in my hops selection?

Thanks for any help and/or recommendation!

Cheers

Ralf

The hop infusion will give flavour but very little bitterness and the boil will still give hop flavour but more bitterness hence the reason why only half the hops were added at the start of the 30 or 20 minute boil but in saying that Summer is a very low alpha acid hop so will give lower bitterness compared to Amarillo which is a higher alpha acid. Does that make sense??? Both beers are the same IBu. There are a few pages on the internet which show you recipes like you describe or watch some of Gash Slugs older videos on YouTube see if that helps. I thinks his may have been a pale ale with aust pale ale can and malt with added hops from memory. There are some good recipes on this site as well just follow them and see how they go @Shamus O'Sean is the guru on those recipes so ask him what he thinks of each one before you make it👍

Edited by RDT2

Dear @RDT2,

just one remark: the brewing time of the hops is more or less the same (well, some are added later, ok). But the main difference I see is that for the summer ale the dry malt is cooked together with the hops, whereas in the fruit salat ale this isn't done.

So ok, longer hops cooking = more bitterness. But what changes if the dry malt is cooked with it?

Cheers,

Ralf

2 hours ago, mr_roots said:

Dear @RDT2,

just one remark: the brewing time of the hops is more or less the same (well, some are added later, ok). But the main difference I see is that for the summer ale the dry malt is cooked together with the hops, whereas in the fruit salat ale this isn't done.

So ok, longer hops cooking = more bitterness. But what changes if the dry malt is cooked with it?

Cheers,

Ralf

Hi mate have a read below

The sugars and enzymes in the extract aid in extracting alpha acids (bitterness) from the hops. Boiling hops with a small amount of extract will result in smoother hop flavors and appropriate bitterness that you can't achieve with plain water alone.

2 hours ago, mr_roots said:

Dear @RDT2,

Cheers,

Ralf

When hops are boiled constantly bitterness is extracted constantly  and the longer you boil the less flavour you get also. When they are steeped/whirlpooled the temp will drop below 80-75 degrees where you will get mostly flavour and aroma with little bitterness. 
Does that help

dear @mr_roots 🤣 where are u from welcome to forum I thought u were trying to Mount @RDT2 like a mad stallion. good grammar never goes astray but your user name along with how u started to reply him get a room man 🤪. I'm not even that drunk but that's some out there stuff mate.