Coopers Community

Dr Smurto's Golden Ale final kit recipe

Firstly, Happy New Year Everyone! Hope you all had a great Xmas 🙂

I am looking to use up the Coopers Lager can that came with the home brew kit, by brewing the final kit version of Dr Smurto's Golden Ale. Recipe is as follows:

1 can Coopers Lager
1 can Coopers Wheat Malt
250g crystal (caramalt, caramunich, carabohemian, light/medium english crystal)
20g Amarillo @ 15 and 0 (sometimes listed as 15g @ 10, 5 and dry hop, i prefer the former)
US-05
Topped up to 20L (not 23L).

As I understand it, the basic process for this would be:

• I need to steep the cracked crystal malt grains in 2L of 65-70°C water for approx 30mins.
  • Remove grains and bring the liquid to the boil, then add 20g of Amarillo for a 15min boil.
  • Remove from the heat (flameout?) and add the other 20g of Amarillo hops to steep.
  • Cool liquid and strain into the FV along with the cans of lager extract and wheat malt and top up to 20L. Pitch yeast.

The questions I have are:

• do I remove the first 20g addition of hops from the liquid at flameout before adding the second 20g? Or do I just leave it in?
  • how long to steep at flameout? Would 30mins be about right or is that too long?

Apologies if this has been covered on here before - I did try to search but couldn't find the answers to the above.

Many Thanks!

26 minutes ago, lickedthestamp said:

The questions I have are:

• do I remove the first 20g addition of hops from the liquid at flameout before adding the second 20g? Or do I just leave it in?
  • how long to steep at flameout? Would 30mins be about right or is that too long?

1. No. you can but there is no need at all.

2. I do 20 minutes, 30 will be perfectly fine.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Lab Cat said:

Just throw the hops in for your boil and steep and strain the cooled liquid into the rest of the mix.

So you would just throw the whole 40g in for the boil and not worry about steeping?

1 hour ago, Green Blob said:

1. No. you can but there is no need at all.

2. I do 20 minutes, 30 will be perfectly fine.

Thanks - I didn't *think* it was required but I saw another Dr Smurto's GA recipe that called for the first 20g to be removed before steeping so wasn't sure if it was the done thing or not. Obviously easier to just leave the initial 20g and strain all at the end 🙂

• 1 month later...