Coopers Community

Cherry Ripe porter/Stout

I've been thinking about a "Cherry Ripe Porter" or something, while perusing the chocolate isle in Coles on the weekend. 

I'm thinking of a choc milk porter as a base and then add some desiccated coconut and some cherry pulp to the FV. It could make an interesting desert beer or something very feral.  

Anybody done something like this? What was the outcome?

Bacchus Brewing up here in Brisbane do a Snickers Chocolate Ale. I'd love to be able to brew that. I assume their recipe is not just buy 300 snickers and throw them in a stout though 😞 

I recently drank a Raspberry Choc Milk Stout and was not a fan but very interested to see what you come up with here. I think less is more on the cherry.

1 hour ago, Fergy1987 said:

Bacchus Brewing up here in Brisbane do a Snickers Chocolate Ale. I'd love to be able to brew that. I assume their recipe is not just buy 300 snickers and throw them in a stout though 😞 

I recently drank a Raspberry Choc Milk Stout and was not a fan but very interested to see what you come up with here. I think less is more on the cherry.

If that is anything like Bad Shepherd's Peanut Butter Porter, then it is a yummy brew 🙂 

I'm not the biggest fan of Bacchus because they seem to put an emphasis on smoked beers and I am not a fan of those. I tried a few of their higher ABV beers and they all taste like ham or bacon. Now I love ham and bacon and I love beer but not both in a glass 🙂 

They did have a nice beer made from desalinated seawater. I was at a shindig at the RNA show grounds a while ago, where they were showcasing beers made from desalinated water. It was organised by SEQ water and some of the beers were very nice, including the Bacchus brew.

• Like 1

Recipe: Choc Cherry 275
Brewer: Grumpy
Style: Sweet Stout
TYPE: All Grain

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Post Boil Volume: 25.03 L
Batch Size (fermenter): 23.00 L   
Estimated OG: 1.052 SG
Estimated Color: 69.4 EBC
Estimated IBU: 35.8 IBUs

Ingredients:
------------
Amt              Name                                             Type          #          %/IBU         Volume        
1.23 g           Gypsum (Calcium Sulfate) (Mash)                  Water Agent   1          -             -             
0.49 g           Salt (Mash)                                      Water Agent   2          -             -             
2.00 kg          Pale Malt, Ale (Barrett Burston) (5.9 EBC)       Grain         3          35.4 %        1.30 L        
1.00 kg          Brown Malt (128.1 EBC)                           Grain         4          17.7 %        0.65 L        
1.00 kg          Munich II (Weyermann) (16.7 EBC)                 Grain         5          17.7 %        0.65 L        
0.75 kg          Oats, Flaked (2.0 EBC)                           Grain         6          13.3 %        0.49 L        
0.30 kg          Caraaroma (Weyermann) (350.7 EBC)                Grain         7          5.3 %         0.20 L        
0.20 kg          Carawheat (Weyermann) (98.5 EBC)                 Grain         8          3.5 %         0.13 L        
0.20 kg          Chocolate Malt (689.5 EBC)                       Grain         9          3.5 %         0.13 L        
0.20 kg          Chocolate Malt (Thomas Fawcett) (1000.8 EBC)     Grain         10         3.5 %         0.13 L        
70.00 g          East Kent Goldings (EKG) [4.60 %] - First Wort 6 Hop           11         35.8 IBUs     -             
250.00 g         Coconut (Primary)                                Flavor        12         -             -             
1.00 kg          Cherry (Primary)                                 Other         13         -             -             
1.0 pkg          Irish Ale (Wyeast Labs #1084) [124.21 ml]        Yeast         14         -             -             

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This was the first one. I roasted the coconut - it was very very nice. Bickfords have a cherry juice that I have used and that is very good, probably easier than the frozen cherries.
Probs more coconut would be good.

Chocolate confectionary inspired stouts are fun.

• Like 2