Coopers Community

1.7kg extract in a 8.5l Fermenter?

Leethal

Hi all,

Very new to brewing and the forum. Have recently done my first brew, which is now in bottles doing its thing. Looking forward to sampling in another week or so. 

Just wondering if anyone has used the 1.7kg tins in the 8.5l fermenter, and what sort of results you had?

The Mr.Beer extracts are only 1.3kg so I assume these are more fit for the 8.5l batches/fermeneters, so was wondering if the extra extract would make much difference or are people not using the whole tin of the regular coopers tins etc.? The Mr Beer tins varieties seem fairly limited, and eventually I can see myself wanting to experiment more so this would limit this I would think. 

Cheers 

• Like 1

Have a search on the forum, a lot of people have done it with good results. You will be essentially making a toucan.

As for the very bitter and alcoholic that all depends on what tin you use and if you add any extra fermentables.

If you use a Mexican Cerveza can made up to 10 L in your craft FV it should give you around 5% ish with a lowish IBU.

But yeah get yourself a bigger FV haha.     

• Like 1

Not that I've used the smaller FV but I often increase the size of my brews in the larger one. So I would say you could use 1.7kg extract and bump the volume up a few litres to lessen bitterness and ABV levels. You probably wouldn't need to add any extra fermentables either, just the yeast.
The only time I could see you having an issue is if you brew beer that create high krausen like stouts. Do you have a krausen collar? This should allay that fear if you do.

• Like 1

Thanks gents!

I had done a search in the forum but couldn't quite find the answer I was looking for or maybe I just didn't understand what I was looking at 😂

The other issue with the small tins is the availability of them from local hbs as it seems you can only get the mr.beer online.  

Havent got the collar yet but is definetly on the list.

Seems the answer is bit of trial and error and I may be able to find something that works for me, or just remove the need of trial and error and get a bigger fv. 

Cheers

The small tins can be a pain to source as a lot of LHBS don't seem to stock them ( depending on your location ) I have no issue in Sydney but a lot of people do in other parts of Aus.

For the cost of the collar and postage you can pick up a 25 / 30L FV from Bunnings and smash out some larger brews and keep the smaller craft one for experimental brews or for when your track down some of the Mr.Beer range.

• Like 1

Mate, throw a can of APA in and top it up to 10L. You'll end up with a nice drop.

I bought a can of Mexican Cerveza a few moths ago that I was intending to use with some Mosaic hops. Haven't got to it yet as my missus has all but commandeered my craft fermenter by having me make her cider in it.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1