Coopers Community

PET bottles smell

irish1759

I got a load of the Coopers plastic bottles from a friend and were probably lying up for a while, and not cleaned well.

I have the a good clean and soaked in VWP cleaner and steriliser for about 3-4hrs then rinsed and sanitised with star San. They still have a strong smell of alcohol to them, just wondering if they will still be ok to use, and not may my beer taste funny after bottling. Or should I just bin them and get some new ones 

The PETs are supposed to be a tiny bit porous.  Maybe they have absorbed something from the Stout. 

If you still have spare bottles, use the on your next brew, but I would bottle up a couple of the smelly ones as a test.  See how they go.  If they work okay the rest might be fine.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

ALL of mine smell like beer. Just the way PET is.  I usually let mine sit full of "One-Step" for half an hour the day before bottling. Doesn't even touch it.

Never had an off flavor problem from it.

On a side note, I noticed today the boxes my Coopers bottles came in say "Made in America" on the side. You guys getting the same thing?