Coopers Community

Great recipe resourse

Marty_G

Came across this in my travel around the web. It looks like a great 1 stop place to get recipes on all manner of beers.  If you are an extract brewer what I would do is find the style you like and use a extract can and the smaller specilty grain additions as maybe mini mash or soaks where applicable and the late hop combinations as teas and dry hops.  Natually you wouldn't do the bittering boils.   

https://beercalc.org/   does anyone here already use it.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I took a look a few months back but it was all about the grains. You are right though, it can be used just to get the additions to a can to approximate the recipes. Seems to be popular - just on the intro page, click recipes then IPA and there's like 14,000 recipes!!! 😄

Maybe TOO popular. 😄

That's not my point, I know HOW to do a short boil. You'd probably do short boil versions for the hops, given your dealing with prehopped kits. But as a kit brewer, that's all this resource would be providing me. All the grains are redundant, and to me, that's the key ingredient that's useful here, if you're AG brewing.

Not only that, it seems to have a bug. I chose czech pilsner to view the recipe, then tried to change to Best Bitter to do the same. The same malt  hop and yeast bill for the pils still displayed.

• Confused 1

17 hours ago, Lab Rat said:

That's not my point, I know HOW to do a short boil. You'd probably do short boil versions for the hops, given your dealing with prehopped kits. But as a kit brewer, that's all this resource would be providing me. All the grains are redundant, and to me, that's the key ingredient that's useful here, if you're AG brewing.

Not only that, it seems to have a bug. I chose czech pilsner to view the recipe, then tried to change to Best Bitter to do the same. The same malt  hop and yeast bill for the pils still displayed.

Did you go back to the index page to do that. I did the same then realised I was changing the style of the recipe page i was on. Click the Index page on the top right to go bak to search more brews. 

18 hours ago, Lab Rat said:

I wouldn't know what to use from that and apply it to a kit recipe. Many of the AG hop boils can't be directly applied.

True you would not do the hop boils but the flavouring hops, so the late additions of the flame outs, could be done as a hop tea and a dry hop.

I was thinking more to do with the flavouring not the bittering for kit brewers.  But if you used unhopped malt extract cans you could use the bittering boils and do a mini mash of the specialty colouring grains.  That can be put into Ians Spreadsheet to give you the figures. 

I know it is a grain recipe data base but all I saw was loads of good ideads for hop combos.  Say if you had a can of IPA A and wanted to turn it into an American IPA you could look at the hop additions that have for some American IPAs say the 15 minute boils and flame out and make hop team from the 15 minutes and used the FO addition as a dry hop.  You may have to play around with the weights a bit but turns K&K beers into something a bit more exotic and for the AG brewers they can go gang busters and waste a year going through the recipes.    

26 minutes ago, MartyG1525230263 said:

True you would not do the hop boils but the flavouring hops, so the late additions of the flame outs, could be done as a hop tea and a dry hop.

I have a tendency to buy relatively neutral cans - for one they are cheaper and for another, my preference is to 'build' my beer. I figure I learn more that way.

So I'd be looking also at the short hops boils as I understand they are useful for aroma and flavour more than bittering - I saw a graph back when I started and was exploring what shit means that shows the aroma, flavour and bitter curves for hop boils and anything under about 10 minutes had bugger all bittering effect.. 

But even re bittering, if the recipe I want to get to has a higher bitterness than the can, I could do a longer bittering boil to improve that as well.

Am I on the right track with this?

7 minutes ago, Journeyman said:

Am I on the right track with this?

Yep that was the idea. Those concepts are sound. In practice they would need some tweeking but in theory, from my understanding, you are on the money.