Coopers Community

Hop Infused Spirits

Smashed Crabs

So out of boredom and doing some research for new and exciting things in the world of brewing when I stumbled across some spirits made with hops. Haven't seen any on the shelfs around my way thou but would be keen to try something of the sort if I come across it.

Wish that the laws where different in Aus, could turn any beer failure into something unique.

https://spiritsreview.com/reviews/southern-tier-distilling-2x-hopped-hop-flavored-whiskey/

Notes: Southern Tier Distilling originally started life as Southern Tier Brewing ,  which still exists, and by the way makes some great beers, and then expanded into Southern Tier Distilling. They produce a number of products including a Wheat Vodka, Rye, Bourbon, and this, their 2X Hopped Hop Flavored Whiskey.

This whiskey starts out as a beer wort (beer before it is fermented) they then ferment it, dry hop it, then distill. A relatively unique process and resulting spirit, mostly seen out west (Charbay in particular – but at a much higher price)

Appearance: Light gold in color, clear as a bell.Leaves a light oily coat on swirling which very gradually retreats with some tears forming.

First Impression: Very hop forward , but in a nice flowery, piney and citrus way.Not the rancid old tom cat piss smell detractors describe some hops particular aromas. Smell full of hope and promise for a pleasant and unique experience, again not like some killer IPA bomb which is what one might suspect from the label. A very mellow smell redolent of pine, citrus and spice.

Taste: Delicious, piney, lemony entry with some sweetness and a very oily body. Almost a creme mouthfeel at the beginning with the pine, lemon and citrus vying for attention but nicely integrated. After a while the slight heat from the alcohol dries things a bit with a pleasant lingering resinous finish. Great stuff!

Drinks: Not really sure where to take this one as to direction – there are so many possibilities.Might require some serious exploration and research, but strikes me as extremely versatile

• Like 1

Again bored at work and looking further into this and found this on an American site and thought I might give it a try this weekend when I'm home at last.

Going to follow the instructions on the site which is essentially … a 10 minute dry hop.

Not going to make a whole lot because well … this could taste terrible so I will use some cheap vodka that's been left over from Christmas

hopped_vodka_equipment_grande.jpg

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Well finally got around to this using about 150ml vodka and around 15g calypso hops purely just cause they are here and open.

Gave it a 15 min infusion and squeezed the hop bag at the end . Will give it a taster later tonight.

Don't really have high hopes for it thou lol, just thought I'd give it a try. Worse case Il throw the remains in a batch before bottling.

IMG20200209114627.jpg

IMG20200209120604.jpg

• Like 1

Annnnd the results are as expected.. horrible didn't even bother keeping the rest to re use was straight down the sink. 

Still would try the hopped whiskey mentioned in my first post as its a distilled hopped wort not a hop tea version. O well not all experiments work out 😂

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

9 hours ago, Shamus O'Sean said:

It is sad that only those studies that prove their hypothesis get published.  How many get tipped down the sink?

Yeah, I mean when I make hop tea's or even open the lid after a solid dry hop and that big fruity aroma hits and you think hell yeah cant wait to drink that . . I didn't get that with this at all, might of worked better on a lower ABV alcohol but 37.5% - 40% it wasn't a good pairing.   

14 minutes ago, Hairy said:

There was a guy on the forum a long time ago that used to add a couple of hop pellets to his milk when frothing it to make coffee.

I tried it once. It was disgusting!!

Not all things work out but always worth a try.

Wow, that is defiantly not something I thought of trying .. ever. I thought my experiment was bad enough.

• Haha 1