Coopers Community

Mex Siesta #2

Hi All

Putting down the Carib Siesta again with a few tweaks.

BE3+200 LDM, 20g Cascade @15 15g Lemondrop @15. Will dry hop some this time instead of steep. Nottingham yeast.

Was thinking of brewing this quite low, around 15C. Nottingham specs say it will work down to 10 and can be used to do lager styles at that temp, but ferment them quicker. My rationale for brewing it lower than usual is to keep it clean tasting, if that's the result you'd get by doing so? Any expereince with Notts below usual ale temps?

There has been a few recent posts about Nottingham's capability to do lager styles at its lower temperature range.  Sounds like it will give you a good outcome.  Maybe not pure lager, but not far off.  Do a search on the Forum for "Nottingham" and see how you go.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I am planning on doing this recipe, but splitting the batch - one half Cascade and one half Amarillo (since it comes in 100g packs, I have lots of leftovers!).  I plan on following the recipe to get the extract and the malt mixed evenly and dissolved, cool it down with water, decanting half the volume into a separate FV, then tipping in the strained hops/malt mix. The recipe calls for 10g boiled then 15g at day 5 - if I am halving the volume in 2 separate containers, would I halve the hop amounts for each one?

My first time splitting a batch for hops, so not quite sure of the outcome.....

3 hours ago, Waynealford said:

I am planning on doing this recipe, but splitting the batch - one half Cascade and one half Amarillo (since it comes in 100g packs, I have lots of leftovers!).  I plan on following the recipe to get the extract and the malt mixed evenly and dissolved, cool it down with water, decanting half the volume into a separate FV, then tipping in the strained hops/malt mix. The recipe calls for 10g boiled then 15g at day 5 - if I am halving the volume in 2 separate containers, would I halve the hop amounts for each one?

My first time splitting a batch for hops, so not quite sure of the outcome.....

Hey Wayne,

I have the same thing for a number of brews.  It is great to compare the results.

If you want to match the recipe then you would have to halve the hop weight. Although I think that 11.5L could still handle the 10g and 15g additions without any disasters.