Coopers Community

Kegerator Tap Leak!!!!

James Lao

Kegged my latest batch of Simcoe, Citra, Mosaic IPA yesterday about 11am, and brewed another batch last night.

Set the gas regulator to 45psi and was going to leave it till this morning at 7am to set back to serving pressure.

Walked in the brewery (spare room), this morning and thought wow it smells like tropical fruit  bubblegum in here, then noticed there was a leak at the tap shank collar fitting and had filled up the drip tray on top of the kegerator  and was just about to start spilling on the floor!

Quickly turned the gas off and disconnected the beer line at the keg.

Got the Kegland tool and nipped up the shank collar fitting, probably another 3/4 of a turn to get it tight.

Probably should have done this last time the keg blew as I noticed a bit of a drip then , but only on the very last pour of the keg.

Anyway only lost about half a glass of beer so it could have been a lot worse!

Looking forward to beer o’clock today as the aroma was amazing!!

Maybe a bit of a warning for other kegerator owners as well to make sure that fitting is nipped up !!

Cheers

James

• Like 1

This is exactly why I don't connect the beer line to the keg at all when I'm carbonating on high pressure. Blew a keg of lemon lime and bitters all over the insides of it once, along with it blowing the door open.

I just put the Centenarillo in there with a fresh keg of water to carbonate for tomorrow, both on 45psi and both disconnected from the taps. I'll connect them up tomorrow when they've finished on the high pressure.

• Like 1