Coopers Community

First Brew Failure

SteveCB

Have just returned to brewing after a couple years break.

my return has been via coopers craft beer range "Bewitched" amber ale.

followed the instructions to the letter all things were fine up to bottling.

have just opened several bottles all are flat with. a sour non beer like taste.

prior to my next attempt any thoughts to where I have gone wrong?

Thanks

SteveCB

11 minutes ago, SteveCB said:

Have just returned to brewing after a couple years break.

my return has been via coopers craft beer range "Bewitched" amber ale.

followed the instructions to the letter all things were fine up to bottling.

have just opened several bottles all are flat with. a sour non beer like taste.

prior to my next attempt any thoughts to where I have gone wrong?

Thanks

SteveCB

Welcome back to brewing.

When it get sour, you're likely dealing with an infection of some sort. I've had this happen myself a few times. Something has gone wrong during the preparation of the beer. Something was not sanitised or the wort was exposed to the elements for too long and caught a bug or two.

10 minutes ago, Lab Rat said:

Bad beer is sad.

What was your process? Sour taste suggests a fermenting problem. How long have you left them in the bottle, you did add carb drops?

I followed the instructions using the craft brew fermenter, the tempreture did drop slightly on day four but returned to normal  used carb drops and have left in bottle for three weeks I was amazed I waited that long to taste.

will give the gear a good sanitising prior to the next. attempts

thanks

14 minutes ago, Aussiekraut said:

Welcome back to brewing.

When it get sour, you're likely dealing with an infection of some sort. I've had this happen myself a few times. Something has gone wrong during the preparation of the beer. Something was not sanitised or the wort was exposed to the elements for too long and caught a bug or two.

thanks   for feedback. I had to share the laundry so it may have been a a bug in the environment 

Hi @SteveCB

Welcome back on board the brewing train.

Sad to hear about your brew.  It is bad enough when our first brew with the lager kit in the big fermenter turns out less than we might have hoped for.  Worse still when you get a sour outcome with the Bewitched.

The comments above are pretty spot on.  I brew most of my beers in the laundry too.  However, my brews are in a temperature controlled freezer.  Therefore, they have little contact with whatever else goes on in that room.

Keep up the sanitisation.  It is your friend.  I sometimes find myself getting a bit lax with it.  Even used a spoon that had just been sitting on the sink to stir my steeping hops the other day.  First thought was oh sh!t.  But what's done is done.  Nevertheless I quickly pulled it out and went for a sanitised one instead.

Good luck with the next brew.