Coopers Community

Krausen Gunk In Beer - Avoid or Ignore?

lamensterms

Hey guys, 

Reading up a bit on off flavour in beer.. Specifically 'soapy' flavours. Have come across a few articles stating that the 'soapy' or harsh-bitterness can be caused by krausen gunk (particularly the crud that would stick to the inside wall of the fermenter) getting absorbed back into your wort. 

So I'm wonder if this is something you guys try to avoid or if it's worth worrying about? 

Bit of back story... I've just begun dry hopping commando, when I previously used stainless hop balls. Being a bit of a natural meddler... I am kinda itching to 'assist' the hops sink into the wort. So I have been gently swirling my fermenter to help the hops break up and settle/sink.  The potential issue is that I am washing the krausen goop off the fermenter and into the wort. 

Probably a few bad habits I should squash, but I really just wanna maximise the effect of the dry hop. 

Should I cut it out and stop messing with my brews? Do you guys have any experience with krausen residue imparting nasty flavour into the beer? 

What reckon? 

Don't go looking for problems that aren't there.

My approach is to keep things simple and leave the beer alone. You'll get just as much from a bagged dry hop. Squeeze the bag when you take it out of the wort. No hop matter, no loss in flavour. If you don't get enough flavour, use more hops, or do a short bittering boil with dry malt prior to mixing your wort,

• Like 1