Coopers Community

Guinness draft equivalent

Lark

Hi folks - I’m new to this - only done about 30 brews and all out of tins but fantastic results so far, the last 75% Coopers variants - one thing I’d love to be able to even semi-do is replicate Guinness Stout and its smoothness.

Any suggestions? I tried the Coopers long neck stout but found it annoyingly ‘fizzy’ and ‘bubbly’. I recently ordered 3 different varieties of stout from the online store & hope one of them may strike the right chord?

thanks, Sean

thanks Muzzy I'll check that out - no experience with 'recipes' etc. but want to start some time so this may be it?

If I could find a reasonable equivalent to Guinness Stout out of a tin in the meantime I would be super happy. Just don't want a stout that is fizzy! 

I went to Dublin University as a foreign student back in the late 70s (I grew up in Africa) so got quite used to a knock on the door from my digs mates suggesting a late night Guinness at the local Lincoln's Inn (which I see is still operational but much posher than back in those days!) - that's where the 'taste' set in!

cheers, Sean

• Like 1

Use half the normal amount of priming sugar and it will be less fizzy. 

The Guinness everyone knows is a dry stout, and a lot of its mouthfeel comes from the nitro poured head. Pretty hard to replicate the nitro at home without a nitro setup and kegs, but there are dry stout recipes around which should get something similar taste wise.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Lark said:

thanks Muzzy I'll check that out - no experience with 'recipes' etc. but want to start some time so this may be it?

I didn't see this one earlier. Irish stout, which I imagine is drier along the lines of what Otto suggested.
Just a kit and kilo recipe too. Nice and easy.

https://www.diybeer.com/au/recipe/irish-stout.html

thanks, after hearing from you guys I went on to the Coopers site and ordered a couple of the interesting sounding 'dark' stouts, including the one you mentioned, to give them a try.

Certainly the way they describe them, they don't sound too far off the mark. I am not after an exact replica to Guinness anyway - anything with a decent taste, head and general non-fizzy smoothness will do the trick for my uneducated but keen palate!

. . . thanks Marty, I shall report any progress! However, reading up a bit on the forum and seeing what seemingly complex concoctions folk are making up/using I am clearly merely tinkering at the edges. . . . but all good fun, experienced members who are willing to provide advice to new jobs like me and nice home brew tastings along the way, what could be better!

4 hours ago, Lark said:

seemingly complex concoctions 

Nothing wrong with simple recipes Lark. Some of the greatest beers out there are very simple recipes (Guiness Draught would be for sure - malted barley, flaked barley, roasted barley and a single hop addition).

Often brewers will come back around to these over the years. Better to use a few well-chosen, good quality ingredients than throw the kitchen sink at your beers. 

Best of luck with the stouts! 

Cheers, 

John 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, porschemad911 said:

Better to use a few well-chosen, good quality ingredients than throw the kitchen sink at your beers. 

Yes, "less is more" also  know as the "KISS" school of thought is something I am an advocate of. I read recipes that some use which have heavy addition of 5 or 6  New World hops and I cringe at the thought of the mishmash of flavours in the profile ... 

thanks for the wise words - always liked the 'less is more' approach to everything anyway and being inherently lazy will no doubt default to this approach with the brewing as it slowly evolves/matures!

• Like 2